• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Using AC condenser for trans cooler

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everybody
I just recently got a new AW4 after overheating my old one too many times. I would like to install a cooler on this one, but I haven't had AC in my jeep for 4-5 years now but the condenser is still sitting in front of the radiator. Ive seen and heard of a few people doing it. I have no problem with spending 70 bucks on a decent one from B&M, but if the condenser will work just a well, I dont see the need in spending the money. any tips or tricks to making that work?

I wouldn't use an AC condenser as a trans cooler without a thermostat of some kind.
Transmissions, like engines, have a specific temperature range at which they are happy.
Winter time and maybe the rest of the year, a cooler that size is going to keep the transmission from ever getting up to happy temps.
I'd look at the XJ's factory tow package cooler as a guideline size for installing one, and be realistic about what you do with the XJ. If you have big tires on it, tow frequently & beat on it then maybe go a size above the factory cooler. If even one of those doesn't apply... probably just put a similarly-sized trans cooler on it and be done.
Yank the condenser out of the way, though, and you'll improve airflow to the entire cooling system. Probably a good idea if you aren't going to fix the AC.

Yank the condenser out of the way, though, and you'll improve airflow to the entire cooling system. Probably a good idea if you aren't going to fix the AC.

I agree that if the A/C condenser was used, it would be far too big for winter driving.
Removing the condenser completely is a better idea, then add a outboard cooler. I run a 13" X 9" B&M plate cooler and it works fine.

Old, dirty condensers are another thing that leads to overheating. I have seen a few cars in which the condenser was so plugged up with oily dirt and bugs that they overheated.
Many times they are so plugged to be unsalvageable, requiring replacement.
That said, I can't imagine not having A/C in my DD, it's 105 out right now.

Back