• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil pan replace??

TB2Blazer

NAXJA Forum User
Well I was changing my RMS cause I thought it was the cause of my oil leak but it turns out it might be my oil pan. Pulled the pan and found a place where the rim was dented/torn. My question is shoul I replace the pan or just lightly hammer the part back to form. Here are some pics of what it looks like.
20140913_154738.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20140913_154714.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

if you look at where the gasket mating surface was on your last pic you can see that the gasket is inward just slightly from the tear in the edge. personally i would just flatten it back out and run it. as long as you get the area around the bolt hole flat again it should seal just fine with a felpro rubber gasket.

Well after cleaning the pan off I found two sizeable dents from something pretty sharp. They did not punch through but one came close. Still debating on whether I want to blow $80 on a new pan...how the hell this happened is a complete mystery to me.
20140914_130455.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

that's from your upper control arm... is the axle centered correctly? track bar too short?

It's common to see the lip dented from the control arm, but that heavy dent is pretty severe.

I have never even touched the suspension in any way, this thing is bone stock. Im the second owner and the little old man who owned it before me never took it off road or did anything with the suspension. So do I need a new pan? How do I fix it to keep from doing it again?

Rock Auto has replacement pans for around $55 plus shipping. I would go that route.

I don't see the problem banging it out. Personally I would rather bang it out than use a Dorman or any one of the similar aftermarket pans. Another option is to buy a used OEM pan. Personally, that is the route I would go.

Check your bump stops too. Damn that control arm went up high. Any witness marks on the control arm?

Wonder if the motor mount bracket bolts broke sometime in the past? Seen that a few times.

Last edited:
Mine was damaged when i took it off the first time in the same area. It was dented in right by the oil pump. I beat it out with a hammer and ran it. The jeep was bone stock when I got it.

I'd beat flat clean both surfaces with brake clean smear some ultra grey on it and run it.

... smear some ultra grey on it and run it.

permatex ultra grey is their sensor safe formula, its not the same as the badass toyota grey stuff. the closest thing permatex offers is 'the right stuff', it comes in a pressurized can with a nozzle attached.

most permatex stuff is color coded:

blue: water
red (or copper): heat
black: oil
grey: sensor safe

each is color coded to what it is best suited for chemically.

I'm not saying it won't seal, im just saying when people usually talk about grey gasket maker they're talking about the badass toyota stuff.

:thumbup:

Back