• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing antifreeze, what else should be done during this process?

workman13

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1997 cherokee sport. I bought it a couple months ago and have been doing alot of maintenance to it. My next thing before winter comes is to replace antifreeze. What should I replace when doing that? Should I replace the thermostat? What else?
Thanks in advance!

putting in a new thermostat (especially if you dont know that last time it was changed) is quick and easy, and good insurance against having a problem later. check the condition of the upper and lower hoses as well, if they are mushy or swollen and bulged out replace them, worn hoses like to crack when it gets real cold out.

I would also flush the system. If you are going to remove the t stat to replace it flush the system with some fresh distilled water.

Remove heater hoses, backflush heater core. There's lots of crud that gets trapped in the heater core.

To backflush apply water pressure to the lower hose. Place the top hose in a clear jug to trap any antifreeze and to determine how much sediment became trapped in the heater core. (normally this is what can't be removed with a system flush)

Some people soak the core with flushing agents to try to loosen and remove rust, lime, calcium, etc. ...

You can also use air pressure along with plain water to help loosen deposits.

When your all done apply air pressure to remove water in the core and heater hoses.

Clean out the recovery tank.

Last edited:
IF you use the flush, you have to be mindful to get it all out of the system. If your antifreeze smells like ammonia later, you know you still have leftover flush in the system.

I'd check over the radiator, water pump, hoses and replace if they looked questionable. I'd also change the thermostat.

If the coolant is quite dirty and scaly then the radiator probably doesn't look so good inside. It can be easier to replace the radiator than try to clean it. And if its old, it can crack and leak at the first cold snap in the fall and who wants to be changing radiators when its 30F outside.

If parts look old and original and you plan on keeping the Jeep indefinitely I'd just change it all.

Good maintenance is changing the coolant and thermostat every 2 years. Use distilled water available at Wal Mart or the grocery store for less than $1 gallon.

I'm also doing the same thing this weekend. Where is the best place to get OEM parts? I know for my other vehicles, there is always a site or dealer that sells OEM parts way below MSRP and especially to enthusiasts or club members.

My local dealer price matches any online dealer so I buy from them.

I'd buy the water pump, thermostat, and at least the lower radiator hose from the dealer.

I think NAPA is fine for radiator caps, fan clutches, etc.

I think the dealer is eliminating some parts. As of a few weeks ago, I had to cut the dealer upper radiator hose for it not to hit the battery. That wasn't the case 2 years ago. The lower hose is top notch and the lines to the heater core also fit perfectly.

If the elbow pipe off the water pump is in bad shape now is a good time to replace it. To R/R it you either pull the water pump or head or cut it and replace it with your own solution.

Back