• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

why not make a jeep more like a farm tractor

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
so the title may be dumb.

in the past I've had Kubota tractors and RTVs, all 4WD.

all had a locking rear differential that was activated with a heel bar. i never dug into how it worked, it always did. they make farm equipment to last decades. on jeeps we flip switches for air lockers.

the tractor had left and right brakes. basically there were two pedals next to each other and a steel bar would normally make them actuate together, or could be flipped up to separate them. the separate brakes were good if you needed to make a turn sharper than your steering radius (which wasn't that great). you could just flip the bar up and say hold the left brake down and you'd turn in a pretty tight circle.

personally i think the idea of a heel pedal to actuate the locker would be pretty cool compared to flipping some electric switch that reminds me of the dial they use to set transfer case position today. in the tractor linkage and lift is not really an issue since the only suspension is the springs in your seat. but the idea of left and brakes seems interesting. has anyone ever done anything like this for off roading an XJ?

Google up turning brake and look at images. One or two handle lever hand operated spliced into your rear brake lines.. No have not done this to an XJ. Have done it on sandrails and buggies all the time as they don't have the weight up front to always grab and steer you into the intended direction.

The main reason a tractors diff lock works like that is that you are actually sitting on the rear axle, and it does not move, so it is really easy to have a pedal that moves a linkage to lock the diff. on an xj your rear axle is way behind you and moves 6-12 inches in relation to the "frame" so you best option to get a tractor like locker is an ox locker, you have a cable that locks the diff, however it is still alot more complicated than a utility tractor diff lock.

Last edited:
Back