• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windshield wiper question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daven75

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ, 4.0L 4x4, 165k miles.

Hey guys, so I'm having this issue, it happens sometimes and then other times it does not. It does not do this with brand new wipers but to give you an idea, the ones I have on my jeep now do it and they're only about 2 months old. Its not chattering, its not skipping, it seems like it gets hung up barley and then skips from there kinda. I dont know how to describe it.

Ive replaces the bushing on the wiper transmission.

Could the motor be going?

Any help is appreciated!

Anyone have any ideas?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gab0Roo1bT4&list=UUyrQSe5BK1B2-L6IiEsQlYg

Cheap windshield washer fluid can make the wipers chatter. Try a different brand, or use the Rain-X.

Cheap windshield washer fluid can make the wipers chatter. Try a different brand, or use the Rain-X.

I use decent stuff. Not just water or anything like that. If your referring to rainX and not the rainX fluid, I've tried that too and it actually made it worse.

Ive even cleaned the window to a point that it can't get more clean.

Clean the window with a solvent, and then wash and wax it.

Then you might want to consider that either the wiper motor or the wiper arm mechanism is worn enough to cause that. My green 99 wipers have +200,000 miles, but my blue 00 wiper motor failed at 80,000.

Mine do that too. I use the same style wipers and I am not sure if that has anything to do with it. What is the blade made of on those?

I tried replacing the bushings in the linkage but that didn't help. I have noticed that the wiper arm moves up and down on the shaft when this happens. I've been meaning to some how preload the arm to see if that helps.

I actually got a spare junkyard motor and link set so I'm overhauling it and I'm going to see if I can fix the up and down issue. Looks like it can be solved with a simple c clip rigged as a spacer.

c-clip or some washers. I was thinking more along the lines of poly or rubber of some sort. Something that stays pliable and can be preloaded for a firm fit. Heck.. maybe even a lock washer would work.

The problem is it doesn't look like you can remove anything to get a washer on there. I have no idea how to remove the metal part that the wiper arm attaches to.

Remove the wipers and put the KC lights in their place so they won't fog up. You won't be able to drive in the rain so you will have no need for wipers. Then the lights won't get internal condensation nor will the hot engine heat fog them up. Good luck.

Really? And you call me a whiny bitch yet you come back in here, on a topic that I'm actually trying to find a solution to, which I believe I have actually found a solution. You bring up another thread that has absolutely nothing to do with this. You are the kinda person that drives people away. Stop being a dick to people and help people out. It's not that difficult. You sound like you belong on those stupid jeep Fb groups.

Last edited:
Remove the wipers and put the KC lights in their place so they won't fog up. You won't be able to drive in the rain so you will have no need for wipers. Then the lights won't get internal condensation nor will the hot engine heat fog them up. Good luck.

so much coffee spit everywhere omg:gag:

Stop being a dick to people and help people out. It's not that difficult.
I am helping. I gave you a solution to two of your problems. It's not that difficult.

Thread closed because the original poster is incapable of playing well with others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back