• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 SYE with HD shaft

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I talked to Tom Woods today because I was looking for a SYE for my 242.

They offer two options:

- remachined stock shaft and tail housing w/ driveshaft $500 plus $400 core on your main shaft and tail shaft housing

- new HD shaft w/ driveshaft $750 no core

- if you don't want their Gold Seal u-joints they will put Spicers in; greasable at no charge or $30 for spicer non-greasable

I hadn't heard of the new HD shaft or u-joint options so I'm just passing this on for anyone who's interested

Got mine a little over a year ago. No complaints, but I don't do stuff to crazy.

I think you can also do a HnT. Stock xj front shaft, i think RE made the flange, and required a piece off a ford DS.

I think you can also do a HnT. Stock xj front shaft, i think RE made the flange, and required a piece off a ford DS.
With a Hack n Tap you can use either a yoke or a flange (RE style).
RE makes the adapter flange joint for their flange setup.
I have an RE flange that I will not be using, and maybe an output adapter/seal if interested. Will be inexpensive.
Otherwise, dirtbound and IRO offer "HnT" kits with yoke/tap&bolt.

One of the reasons I liked Tom Woods solution is that his machined shafts have splines closer to the tail housing so you end up with a longer driveshaft which reduces the angle. I'm not sure what the difference is between HNT and Tom Woods, but between stock and Tom Woods I should go from 27" to 33" between the u-joint at the transfer case and the u-joint at the pinion. I'd guess that HNT is about halfway in between the two?

Back