• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Theoretical 5.0 swap.

Luke95

NAXJA Forum User
Would a slightly hopped up 5.0L Out of a mountaineer or exploder be that bad of a swap? It has the GT40P heads, and a good intake. It runs pretty cool for a V8 as well. It is a small engine, and if what I am reading about TJ swaps is true it seams like you can get every thing to play "nice" With each other. The transmission choices seem pretty good to me. If you go stick you have a few choices NP435 T18-19 And run a bronco Dana 20.

Now I probably will never actually do the swap I just started to ponder it.

I had an NP435 and bronco D20 behind a 4.0

Never again.

Tractor shifting 4 speed and too small of a t-case with no front output shaft upgrades.

I'd see if you can adapt an NV4500 and/or NP205.

I already have np205 just chilling with a c6. I have driven a old ford truck with a t19 it wasn't that bad to me, I wouldn't have a problem wheeling it because how low it is geared.

Also I see the twin stick as a major advantage for me not even for the "front digs" but just so that way I can unlock my front and stay in low range without touching my hubs.

Last edited:
Umm.. sell the 5.slow (or use for something else) and swap in an LSx?

5.0 w/ gt40p's, truck intake, 24lb injectors, b cam, 65mm tb and a set of 1.6s. Cheap combo with some good power.

This is kind of the plan.
I also have a 5.8 block laying around. I have to do down research on to a good build for that and decide on what I want to do. If I even want to do it. And no to a Chevy motor.

This is kind of the plan.
I also have a 5.8 block laying around. I have to do down research on to a good build for that and decide on what I want to do. If I even want to do it. And no to a Chevy motor.

Scratch that! I have a decent full Windsor laying around. The issue I see is in the fuel injection. Ideally I would use a 5.0 comp out of a 97+ explorer. If I do that then it is a simple vin mismatch in order to get it through ems.
Also fill me in on the zf or Mazda manuals from ford. I know the zf is tough but I don't know about the Mazda Trans.

If it were 1990, I'd be all over this.
As it stands, I just wouldn't go through the work for a 5.0, 5.8 or even a 4.6 (if it'd fit to begin with) A "new" 5.0, yes. A Triton 5.4, sure.
Why "no" to the chevy engines?

If it were 1990, I'd be all over this.
As it stands, I just wouldn't go through the work for a 5.0, 5.8 or even a 4.6 (if it'd fit to begin with) A "new" 5.0, yes. A Triton 5.4, sure.
Why "no" to the chevy engines?

No to Chevy engines because I'm not a Chevy fan.
5.0 is a smaller motor than a 5.3 easy and cheap to get power out of. With 5 wires I can get it to run. Also on a half day at the junkyard I can walk away with the motor and computer for 185$ a 5.3 would be about 300$ and a much larger head ache. Also I have a ford np205 and a bw1356 in my possession.

No to Chevy engines because I'm not a Chevy fan.
5.0 is a smaller motor than a 5.3 easy and cheap to get power out of. With 5 wires I can get it to run. Also on a half day at the junkyard I can walk away with the motor and computer for 185$ a 5.3 would be about 300$ and a much larger head ache. Also I have a ford np205 and a bw1356 in my possession.

Well, to each their own. I suspect that the difference in purchase price is going to go away during install or maintenance but hey, if you're a Ford guy and you want a Ford I won't try to argue any further.

I say do it. A stock 5.0 or a mildly worked one will really wake up the XJ and yes, it should fit just fine. No aftermarket support (at all) but if it's a five wire hookup and you can build the motor mounts... take burnout videos for us.

Well, to each their own. I suspect that the difference in purchase price is going to go away during install or maintenance but hey, if you're a Ford guy and you want a Ford I won't try to argue any further.

I say do it. A stock 5.0 or a mildly worked one will really wake up the XJ and yes, it should fit just fine. No aftermarket support (at all) but if it's a five wire hookup and you can build the motor mounts... take burnout videos for us.

If I do this it will take me a while to do. I am not going to rush into it because I plan to take it slow and I want to do this in a manner of actually thinking it over. I can do a gt40 swap onto my 351w or I can sell my Windsor and just go straight 5.0L
I know the cam I want and plan to follow the build advice given in this thread.

No burnouts... Maybe rock crawling vids.

if you have the parts and the interest, go for it, just remember this. it wont make it worth any more $$ if you try to sell it later.
i learned to hate the 5.0L after trying to make one work properly in a CJ5 chassis.
good luck, and learn from your mistakes!

Debating selling the 5.8L
302seems to be a better fit for me.

Back