• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to mock up shock mounts

XJEEPER

NAXJA Member # 13
NAXJA Member
Many of us who have swapped axles and/or changed shock mounting locations are faced with the challenge of how to know the exact placement of the new shock mount, so that the EB1 style (eye) bushing is operating on the proper angle.

With a non-pressurized shock, one can simply bolt the new mount to the shock, align it in the proper position and length, tack weld in on to the axle and then remove the shock and burn it on permanently.

When running a gas pressurized shock, this becomes much more difficult, because the shock will expand to it's maximum length when unmounted, and it's pretty difficult to hold it in place when the previous step is attempted.

While dialing in the mounts and proper shock lengths for the rear of my XJ, I came up with a pretty simple process, using 1/2" PVC pipe and fittings.

I first sourced two 1/2" PVC Sched 40 T- fittings and 4 nylon washers.
PVCTandwashers_zpsea8ddba5.jpg

Trim the PVC T-fittings to the width of the shock mount
TrimmedPVCT_zpseac39f11.jpg

I then warmed them with a heat gun and pressed in the nylon washers so they would sit flush with the ends of the fittings. When cooled, the washers stay in place.
PVCTwithwasherinstalled_zpse703c659.jpg

Test fit of shock bolt.
PVCTmountcomplete_zps4d92cbbb.jpg

Insert the correct length of 1/2" PVC pipe, which you have calculated to match the proper static length of the shock, into the T-fittings, then install the shock mounts and line up on axle.

RearlowershockmountwithPVCmock-up_zps23a404af.jpg

Tack weld shock mount to axle and then remove PVC prior to final welding. (or you'll wind up with a melty mess)

This method can also can be used to dial in the extended and collapsed length of a shock, prior to ordering. (1/2" PVC pipe will slide inside 3/4" PVC pipe so you can dial in the lengths)

Back