• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

upgraded oem parts?

kpeeks

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched around trying to find any info, no luck or I'm using the wrong terms.

I was wondering what parts, if any, did the factory replace with a better quality item. Like wheel hubs, fan clutch, etc. I have an 89 xj & just wondering if better oem parts exist. I'm in the process of swapping my d30 cad to a noncad d30hp. Plan is to swap the diffs out for the gears. This has just been in my head for awhile.

I was wondering what parts, if any, did the factory replace with a better quality item.

The FACTORY did not upgrade anything with better parts, that's why it's called factory or "stock" or OEM. Eventually, over the years, the designs, specs, axles, electrics got better but the factory didn't really "upgrade" with better parts. All years have their own pluses and minuses, quirks and gremlins.

Many upgrades are available "aftermarket". If you want to upgrade with better parts, they're out there. Just not from the factory.

The FACTORY did not upgrade anything with better parts, that's why it's called factory or "stock" or OEM. Eventually, over the years, the designs, specs, axles, electrics got better but the factory didn't really "upgrade" with better parts. All years have their own pluses and minuses, quirks and gremlins.

Many upgrades are available "aftermarket". If you want to upgrade with better parts, they're out there. Just not from the factory.

Well stated.

HO D30 brakes were better than the renix era. You can tell the difference by either using a 13mm or 1/2 socket to remove the brakes (HO) or a 7mm allen wrench for a renix.

The abs equipped or 97+ d30s came with the better 297 U-Joints but are direct bolt in to an earlier axle.

97+ mirrors are a direct bolt on (larger and fold out of the way/not spring loaded)

97+ center console is a bolt in with minor tweaks to get the e-brake connected (plus cup holders)

That's all I can come up with for now.

Thanks ae! I know the factory had to do an upgrade here & there. Like the renix delete of the c101 would be considered a wiring upgrade. The 297x ujoints the next. Just wondering what else may be better from say an 01 vs a 87.

The 01's do have issues with heads and got low pinion D30's. The coil pack ignition isn't too bad once you get used to it. Though I haven't figured out how to put a timing light on a coil pack. ;^) And while you do have those mini-cats, at least the exhaust manifolds don't crack. Some of the electrical connections are higher grade on the later years. Everyone says the earlier models are less sensitive to driveline vibrations with lift kits.

Last edited:
Back