• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fusible link HELP

I was planning on upgrading my alternator later this year but it took a dump today, so here I am. I picked up a unit for a 98 ZJ 5.8, 136amp, to replace my 90 amp out of my 96 XJ.

I know I have to replace the fusible link with a 175 or higher ANL fuse, but how. The green wire that I'm assuming is the fusible link disappears into the wiring harness under the PDC. Am I suppose to take the little black box at the alternator apart to separate the link? What point on the alternator to I need to wire the ANL to, and where does the other end of the ANL connect to the PDC. I have 10 tabs open right now and all only show before and after pics, none show how.

:shocked:

+1 for 5-90

Thanks for the feedback. I got a remanufactured unit from Auto Zone. Hooked the whole thing up with out the ANL, because no parts stores on this side of town have anything to put the ANL in. Fired it up and, nothing! Spent the entire morning trying to trouble shoot only to find out the remanufactured unit wasn't putting out anything.

Could I have caused this by not running the ANL?

I made m my own cables a months back. At the time I misunderstood and deleted the oem fusible link because I thought I only needed it if I upgraded alternators.

Yesterday, I notice my dash voltmeter sitting around 10. Battery was brand new so I pulled the alternator, it tested bad. Picked up a new 136 amp for a zj, installed it, and nothing. I pulled it took it back, they said it tested fine. Im at a loss and stranded for the weekend cus my wife will be at work. Could I have blown a different fuse? Did I cook the pdc? 5-90 is out of town.

Help!

So far, the only thing that I KNOW I did wrong, is hard wire my new cable the PDC without a fuse. That being said the alt I bought and wasn't putting out in the jeep tested fine at the store. They warrantied it out anyway, got another one off the shelf and tested it prior to leaving. Came home put it in and still nothing. I tested each wire individually. I freshened up all of the grounds. The battery is new. Im at a loss. Should I start a new thread?

I'm not sure what you've done wiring wise but you mentioned the green wire. Isn't that the wire that goes to the PCM for regulation? It is not the fusible link.

The 4 gauge wire from the alternator output goes to the ANL fuse and that in turn goes to the battery + or the positive wire in the PDC, it doesn't matter which.

In my '93, there are two 60 amp fuses in the PDC labeled "generator" output. I have always assumed that these take the place of a fusible link but I don't know that for a fact, nor do I know what the fuse setup is in the '96 PDC.

The original fusible link (if the '96 has one) is between the alt output and the PDC.

Back