• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom Dash Indicator Light Wiring Question

ROKRWLR

NAXJA Forum User
Hope someone can help with this one.....

I'm building a custom buggy type dash in what's left of my XJ. I have gutted the interior and will be building up a tube and sheet metal dash with aftermarket gauges. Since I am not using the stock cluster, I lose all of the factory indicator lights. I'm fine on replacing blinkers, brights, etc, but I am having a hard time finding good info for if it is possible to hook up a Check Engine light. I can't seem to find it indicated on any schematics I've found.

Does anyone know if there is a wire that can be tapped into either in the interior loom or the PCM loom in the engine bay for a CEL? Jeep is a 2001.

OR, does anyone know if I can chop a part of the circuit out of the old cluster to accomplish this?

Thanks!

A very hacked way of doing it would be to bury the circuit board from the old cluster someplace behind the dash, then just add wires to the indicator bulbs for whichever functions you need and bring them out to your new indicators.

Since you don't care about the gauges themselves I would think you could get the circuit board down to a size that could be hidden behind your new dash.

I don't think there's a dedicated wire for the CEL you'd just be able to tap into.

Hiding part of the circuit board is definitely my backup plan. Just hoping there's a magic wire somewhere. I'm guessing the bulb is only fed through the bus, though.

Back