• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some advice

kumaclimber

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm thinking of buying a xj. It's a 93 with the 4.0 i6 and manual trans. It need some work. The back glass is missing and the engine needs a rebuild. It needs a new drivers seat and some other stuff. I'm tempted because it's $200 and I can do all the stuff it needs and I'm looking at a parts budget of $1500 to get it on the road and off.

My phase 1 is going to be back on the road and some other basic upgrades (Looking at doing a cam and some port and polish stuff) and keeping stock tire size.

Phase 2 is going to be armoring the whole damn thing with an exo cage and rhino lining the whole exterior and interior of the truck and getting everything inside all set up.

Phase 3 will be new axels and a good suspension set up. Built for 35" tires and some air lockers.

This is all the detail I have. I'm new to the jeep world and don't know too much about them. I'm looking for a good list of mods/suggestions from you all that I can have in one place to reference later. Looking for phase 1 suggestions now.

IMHO not enough budget to get it road ready, basically what your buying is a parts Jeep for $200. Besides what you have listed I'm guessing that it needs frontend work most all do, then who knows about the rest of the driveline. Then cooling need to be addressed on most all of these also even my 99 needed new radiator, water pump, fan clutch, hoses, etc. the list goes on.

Have you priced a complete engine overhaul kit yet and the machine shop work needed also these are a given with any engine build. I have been doing them for almost 45 years and shortcuts get you one thing wasted parts in a short lived engine or no life at all.

JMHO and YMMV

more or less, what he said.

a quality engine rebuild will run you $2000 or so.

Back