• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Calipers - how do you know you need them?

jbeintherockies

NAXJA Forum User
Simple question, how do you know when you need new front calipers? My Jeep is close to stock, with the exception of Rubicon wheels and 245x70x16 BFG AT's. Since the calipers are cheap, the only hangup is bleeding the brakes, which I have never done. However, the brakes were bled by my mechanic (my request) at around 80k.

Now I want to do my own brakes and I am looking at the Black Magic pads and Centric rotors. Should I do the whole thing and go with new knuckles, rotors, calipers, etc for the 16" wheels? :dunno:

2000 XJ Limited 153,000 miles:
1. Year of your XJ/MJ = 2000
2. Engine = 4.0
3. Transmission = Auto
4. Differential/transfer case = 8-1/4 / NP242 Selec-Trac
5. Stock suspension, Rubicon wheels with 245x70x16 BFG AT's

Last edited:
you need them when they leak.

other than that, just pop them off, rebuild the guide pins with new rubber boots and grease and call it good. I've never replaced one unless it was leaking or hung up internally.
stock brakes are perfectly fine for you. My wife's junk has 245/70's with rubicon wheels, stock running gear, no problems and it's been like that for 10 years.

My 98 XJ has 167k on the original calipers, which are working just fine (saved me from the jackwagon who pulled out in front of me yesterday in fact). Like, 87manche says, you definitely need them when they leak. You might also need them if you have any pulling or dragging of the brakes, although that would warrant further inspection as it could be a collapsed, leaking or bulging line.

Here's my $.02. The OEM calipers are much higher quality than the low dollar, low value replacements you can easily obtain everywhere. You get what you pay for and lesser quality parts are no replacement for well maintained, quality OEM parts. Just because you can change them, doesn't mean you should or that you'll benefit in any way. Pad and rotors, sure thing, but if you're not having any drivability problems with how the brakes operate, rebuild (clean and grease) the pins and torque to spec when you drop new pads in.

^What he said very important clean and grease the pins every time your into the brakes, you would be surprised how many don't. I had one of my cars done at a shop a couple of yrs. ago and found that they did not lube the pins later, needless to say when I returned they refunded part of my money.

Back