• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX5 To AX15 Swap

Kingkong0192

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to put a Mercedes 5 cylinder diesel (om617) into a cherokee. Looking to buy an 86-89 stick cherokee (To get around emissions.)

I figure it'll either have the AX5 or the BA-10/5 transmission. I want to swap in an AX15. Will that be a pretty much direct bolt in? I found the adapter from the om617 to the ax15. After i get those together will the AX15 just go into the jeep?

My other question is will any T-case (assuming the spline count on the tranny/tcase is the same along with the input shaft lenght) bolt onto the AX15? Or is there a difference between T-cases that bolted to an auto as opposed to a stick?

there can be input shaft differences depending on year. Best to snag trans and t-case as a combo. Novak has a decent list on their webpage.

it will simply bolt in, you'll have to move the trans cross member, but there will be places to put the riv nuts already on the frame rail.

Back