• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery drain and electrical issues, help!

bryzenga

NAXJA Forum User
98 4.0 automatic xj Limited
A little info about what's going on:
So I bought this xj half a year ago and since I've been going through it, I've been finding mouse nest after mouse nest. I've cleaned 7 of them out so far. Long story short, I removed all of the interior except the dash and everything underneath just to try and get rid of the mouse smell. I hadn't really had any issues with battery draw until now.
I bought heated leather seats from an 00 xj to replace the nasty seats that I had in it. From searching, I figured out that the yellow wire with green stripe for the seat harness is just for a keyed 12v source, so I tee'd into a thicker yellow wire that runs through the c7 plug in the passenger foot well. They seat switches were lit up, but didn't get a chance to try the seats.

Now, I wired those in on a Monday. Over that weekend prior to Monday, I went out of state and managed to leave the drivers window down. I was told that it poured and we had about 2 inches of rain. When I got back Monday, there wasn't much water in the jeep, just in the passenger side rear quarter panel cubby. It filled up with water, which my speaker plug was soaked in....
Before this, I never had a problem with battery drain. When I got back Monday, the battery was dead, so I charged the battery. It didn't take long before it was completely drained again.

I already started on diagnosis by rigging a fog light in place of the IOD fuse. I found that when I disconnect c7, (the same harness I tee'd into the yellow wire) the light will go off. Mind you, this is with the seats unplugged. I went further down the line and unplugged the overhead console (limited) and the light goes off. Having known about bare wires from mouse damage, I replaced the overhead console with a good one, but the light still comes on when I plug the OHC in. Another note: my interior lights do not go off when all doors are shut and the gauge cluster doesn't show it when a door is open.

So my short would be down the line of the overhead console, but where exactly do the wires go? Into the ECU, BCU? This short is really starting to get to me.
Sorry for the novel, but there is a lot going on at once that needs to be put out there
I appreciate any help.

*also forgot to note:
It was blowing IOD fuses as soon as I put them in, but after I changed the overhead console, it no longer blew the fuse.
Also, if I start the jeep, it will stumble and die out unless I give it gas. Of it manages to stay running on idle long enough, it will smooth out, but usually it sputters out and dies... Maybe related to the electrical?

Last edited:
*Update*
So I traced the harness for the overhead console and OT goes into 2 different clips. The one that is causing the draw is on the junction box. Upper right corner has 3 wires, a red, black and yellow.
So if I disconnect this connector, the fog light goes out. If I disconnect the c7 on the bottom of the junction box, the light goes out.

Back