• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question on LP D30

Tony_SS

NAXJA Supporting Vendor
I need 4.10's up front on my LP D30 to match the rear. This is my DD and will see winter duty. So, can I just add the 4.10's to the factory unit? Or do I need to replace the unit to run 4.10's?
TIA

I don't know the LP axles but I know the HP, you have to replace the carrier to go 4.10 gears. The housing is fine as-is but you may as well get a HP axle, build / gear that, and then swap it in. Easier to do gears on the bench, I'd imagine - and that way if you hit any snags while you do the axle hey, you're still driving the XJ.

LP D30 has same 3.55/3.73 carrier break as the HP d30.

now's the time to swap to a HP housing anyway.
You don't really want to do gears with the crush sleeve anyhow.

The problem is I have plans to add 4.10's and a new LSD in the rear on Monday. My budget is bone dry and need 4.10's to match up front before winter hits.

So I'm looking for a quick, cheap solution to getting the gears up front there.

HP dana 30 from a 4 cylinder. Don't forget TJ ones will bolt in.

Getting your hands on an HP30 housing + carrier + gears + install stuff & swapping once geared is maybe 1/2 day slower than gearing the LP30 in place. To me, it'd be worth the 1/2 day to be working on the bench instead of the floor. To each their own, though.
And yes, if you can find any D30 in 4.10 that's a winner, HP all the better.

The problem is I have plans to add 4.10's and a new LSD in the rear on Monday. My budget is bone dry and need 4.10's to match up front before winter hits.

So I'm looking for a quick, cheap solution to getting the gears up front there.

HP dana 30 from a 4 cylinder. Don't forget TJ ones will bolt in.

this suggestion will be far more budget friendly than a carrier, master rebuild kit and gears for yours.

Ok, the difference here is that you will have to get a housing. You are going to have to buy gears, install kit, carrier or locker. It will be easier to regear an HP housing, then do a swap on a weekend, pull your axle shafts, knuckles, unit bearings/brakes/steering and put them on the HP housing. Try to locate an HP housing. You can just pull the front shaft and drive in 2wd until you swap it.

If cash is in short then why not just wait to do the rear when you have the cash to do the front as well? Its not like you need 4.10s for snow.

I second the "Find a 4cyl XJ or TJ" Axle as the cheapest choice as they came with 4.10s. Axle may run you $200, maybe.

Carrier break is 3,55 as Nate mentioned, so the cost of a carrier should be added to whatever you regear.

LP axles are not any harder to set up than a HP as far as pinion depth or carrier preload goes. The crush sleeve is a but difficult as you will have to hold the yoke while putting some 200ftlbs of force on the nut with a long wrench.

Of course, if you have a 8.25 out back, by the time you do the front it will be old hat :D

One note: I have gone though (2) 4.56 gear sets with a locked LP 30 on 33's without even injuring the u-joints. I suspect that the ring gear is not as strong in the normal rotation vs reverse. Something to think on long term.

They have snow in MO? ;)
-Ron

No, the low pinion is not as strong as a a high pinion, as it runs on the coast side of the gearset. That is why the high pinion axle is desired.

So if I got a HP D30.. wouldn't I have to replace the carrier anyway to regear to 4.10? Not to mention spend extra $ replacing the hubs, ball joints etc etc.. I know what I have with mine at least.

If cash is in short then why not just wait to do the rear when you have the cash to do the front as well? Its not like you need 4.10s for snow.

My rear pinion seal is leaking.. and the diff is howling on the highway, I think.

They have snow in MO? ;)
-Ron

Oh yes! This isn't the south... still the Midwest in these parts. :)

Also, I need to be honest with my build here.. it's a mall crawler extraordinaire, doing my daily driver activities and promotion vehicle for my company at the same time. I doubt it will ever put the test on trails.. so I'm not real concerned with strength of a LP. The worst it might see is a farm field with knee high grass. lol

So if I got a HP D30.. wouldn't I have to replace the carrier anyway to regear to 4.10? Not to mention spend extra $ replacing the hubs, ball joints etc etc.. I know what I have with mine at least.

My rear pinion seal is leaking.. and the diff is howling on the highway, I think.

yes, you would still need a carrier, but all of your brakes/bearings/shafts would transfer over. Everything aside from the center section is identical.

if this this is going for picking up groceries then just go snag a 4cyl tj axle out of the yard. slap it in.
cheapest and easiest.

Open the rear up and take a close look at the inside. Pinion seal takes longer to go to the store and get then install. For something that spends more time on the road then trail you really are adding a lot of work for yourself.

The carrier is the same, you have to replace it to regear to 4.10. (my recommendation is 4.56 if you're going 31 or taller).

The knuckles, ball joints, brakes, axle shafts, unit bearings would all transfer over from your low pinion housing.

If you are spending the money to regear, that's the time you should swap out the low pinion for the high pinion, as it's only the cost of the housing, and around here, those are like $100.

Mark

Finding a 4 cyl XJ or TJ is pretty tough around here.. the yards get picked real quick with anything jeep. So I guess it's unanimous that I shouldn't be putting $ into a LP?

Tomorrow the shop is doing the rear dif/gear swap no matter what. So before then, I'll pull the front DS, get it rebuilt and start my search for a HP to build or swap in.

However, being the paranoid freak I am, I'm worried I'll get one from a yard that's been abused and is bent or something... is that a valid concern?

Don't get the front driveshaft rebuilt until after you get a HP axle, as you may need the slightly shorter driveshaft that comes with a HP jeep. (you may not, check yours once you get it).

but to parrot what the others said, yes, throwing money into an LP30 is truly a waste. And yes, you can re-use your knuckles and brakes from your existing axle (just put new balljoints in, which is not expensive).

Also, how much lift do you have? With less than 2" of lift or so the HP30 may put your driveshaft into your header, which is why they went to the LP30 in 2000.

Oh yes! This isn't the south... still the Midwest in these parts. :)

Also, I need to be honest with my build here.. it's a mall crawler extraordinaire, doing my daily driver activities and promotion vehicle for my company at the same time. I doubt it will ever put the test on trails.. so I'm not real concerned with strength of a LP. The worst it might see is a farm field with knee high grass. lol

Tony,too bad about not being able to find a 4cyl or V6 front axle.
The newer model 4cyl XJs even came with 8.25 axles, so you could buy a junker and strip it for what you'll pay for gears, carrier, and setup.

Still, if that's all you expect to do with your LP 30, then you should be fine.
After all, What you described was pretty much the original mission for a XJ.
I've got an open LP30 in the LJ (8x15" wheels 33" tires) and it does mild wheeling and DD use. It should last forever.

I don't treat the one in my XJ very nice, not very nice at all. This weekend I blew up a set of spider gears finishing out a level 8 challenge trail though rocks and loose sand. I've got 10X15" rims with 33X12.50s that I'm spinning. When you suddenly stop 65lbs of rotating mass at part throttle with an automatic, axle innards have a more finite lifetime :nono:

Last edited:
Back