• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie Fuel Injector change

Lanthanaas

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I'm very new to engines and I'm learning as I go. I've got a friend who has an 87 Jeep Cherokee that has been sitting for about 5 months. Their apartment was paving this week so it had to be moved. I tried to jump it with me truck, but as soon as it started cranking, gasoline started to seep out from the top end of 2 of the fuel injectors. We were able to pull 6 from a junkyard and all the O-rings are in good condition. That's where I think the failure was, although we have yet to pull his out. I've watched a few videos on Youtube as prep work, but I'm still a novice with most of the engine systems.

My questions are 1) should I do anything before, during, or after installing the injectors to make sure that the injection system performs correctly? 2) What sort of cleaning solution/process should I use on the injectors prior to installation? They are pretty much covered in dirty oil.

I just soaked the O-rings in fuel for 10 minutes and smeared a little Vaseline on them, get them all lined up on the fuel rail and the block, .they pop right in.

Unfortunately, we're working on a very limited budget, so I don't think upgrading will be an option. I'll keep that in mind for my 89, though. :)

Too much for his budget, yes. So far I've ended up buying everything for the project. We installed the "new" injectors yesterday. One of the o-rings tore while trying to get it into the fuel rail. We didn't realize it until we tried to crank it and it started leaking. New o-ring to be installed next weekend because it was getting late and the wives wanted to "see us" or something. :p

The stock 2 piece injectors will almost always leak eventually. I'd take this opportunity to upgrade to a Bosch or Bosch design one piece injector. They may or may not improve performance...but they will not leak, at least mine haven't, ever.

Both the injectors we pulled from his vehicle and the ones we got from the Pick n Pull were a solid piece. Does that mean we don't need to worry about this?

They "appear" to be a solid piece.......until they begin spraying fuel on the exhaust manifold.

First off, what is the exhaust manifold? Is that the metal plate under the fuel rail?

Here are the injectors we got. Where is the seam on them?

Also, I saw a video where a guy pulled out filters from the injectors and replaced them. The person at the auto parts store didn't think they had built in filters. Is this something I should replace?

Alright, we finally got the injectors in. One of the o-rings tore when pushing it into the fuel rail. They came with the used injectors, but were in good condition, other than the one that tore. We replaced the torn one and tried to start it.

The o-ring between the fuel rail and the fuel pressure regulator gave out at that point. Luckily we had some of the new ones left. Got that replaced and tried jumping it again.

It turned over for about a second and then died. After that it wouldn't even turn over. It revs slowly like it doesn't quite have enough juice to get turning fast enough, even though it's hooked up to a good vehicle with jumper cables. Anyu suggestions what to try next?

charge the battery overnight, verify it has 12v minimum, and then try starting again.

12v is way too low need at least 13.8v or so at 12v its almost dead.

Back