• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Latest and Greatest Lifts? Opinions Welcome!!!

BraqueHunter98

NAXJA Forum User
Ladies and Gents,

I have been away from the forums and from looking at products for the XJ for a few years now. Was wondering what the latest and greatest lifts are that are out there now. Specifically, I am looking for something in the range of 4" minimum to 6" maximum. I want a pleasant ride with good handling. My oldest son is going to be using the vehicle from time to time as well, so I want it to be safe. I want to be able to clear 33" tires and be a capable trail rig, but not too extreme stuff. Novice sorta trails and on rare occasions, until the bug sets in :p

Please, way in with your opinions and I welcome all your thoughts. Lastly, I am really liking a set of front and rear quarter panel guards I saw recently. They are the fender flare steel set from Rusty's. Anyone have any experience with them and what are your thoughts?

Thanks all!

Metal cloaks are nice...
So are Clayton's as much as I dislike Clayton.

Ladies and Gents,

I have been away from the forums and from looking at products for the XJ for a few years now. Was wondering what the latest and greatest lifts are that are out there now. Specifically, I am looking for something in the range of 4" minimum to 6" maximum. I want a pleasant ride with good handling. My oldest son is going to be using the vehicle from time to time as well, so I want it to be safe. I want to be able to clear 33" tires and be a capable trail rig, but not too extreme stuff. Novice sorta trails and on rare occasions, until the bug sets in :p

Please, way in with your opinions and I welcome all your thoughts. Lastly, I am really liking a set of front and rear quarter panel guards I saw recently. They are the fender flare steel set from Rusty's. Anyone have any experience with them and what are your thoughts?

I also really like the Rustys fenders and rear quarter panels if/when I decide to go with larger tires I may very well try a set of each. They are a bit pricy and when you consider a new paint job to go with them the costs increase again sooo......

Thanks all!

Go with the lowest lift possible. You'll have to trim the fenders anyway for the Rusty's flares, so stick with a 4.5" lift. Easily clear 33's. A really tall 6" lifted jeep is tippy on and off the road, so I wouldn't recommend that for a novice driver.

I recommend longarms. Check out the Clayton 3/4 link kit. With a lift that high, you'll need an SYE and driveshaft to make the TC happy. Upgraded steering for sure. I'd get some new brake pads and rotors for the bigger tires.

You need to give more details on your Jeep so we know what parts to recommend. And starting straight away with a 4.5" lift requires a LOT of upgrades, especially if you go wheeling. This isn't a full-size chevy where you just get springs and lift blocks and go.

I too have been doing research in looking to upgrade what I have now. I was on a 3 inch lift, bushwacker flares, Trac Bar, SYE and Drive shaft, and 33's. I had some issues with rubbing, so I ordered the JKS Adjustable coil bump stops, they gave me the clearance to stop the rubbing, and after replacing a shot TRE on a trac bar, I can tell it needs alignment. But I'm going to drive it till Monday, when I install my Rough Country Long Arm Upgrade. I liked this because of the T case skid and mounting points. I went with this kit because after my research and reviewing what I wanted, a radius arm style suited me for all the daily driving I do. After looking at the kit, it's pretty beefy stuff. I heard complaints about the assembly of the joints in the kit, I think you'd have to be pretty thick to screw that up. Here's the pictures of what I have going now. With the long arm kit, I'll install longer brake lines to keep up with the longer travel. With this recipe, I can adjust the ride height and overall handling of the vehicle road side if I had to (side note to self:maybe trailside next time??)
So, I basically have a spacer, a 3 inch lift spring, and long arms with 33's. No rub yet without lift installed, but I'm not expecting any. I don't run a sway bar, but for someone who hasn't driven a lot it'd probably be intimidating.
Have you thought about steering? I can't decide which way to go...Any other opinions or links you might have come across?

Just FYI: I am very pleased with my 4 inch OME/DPG hybrid lift. Ride is very smooth and one of the best I have ever experienced in a 4x4. While not cheap I would still buy it again today.

http://dpgoffroad.com/productcategories/xj-cherokee-kits/

I have no financial interest in OME or DPG. I am just sharing my experience with their products.

If your not doing anything too crazy, keep it simple, you'll have room to grow and this is always an 'evolving' sport.

Any standard radius arm setup will be inexpensive, easy to install and you can always change it later (if you even need to, most don't)

Serious, rustys, etc are all good for most. As much as I hate to admit it, I'm running the rough country long arm and I'm impressed. Someday I'll go to the clayton 3 link, but I don't NEED it so it is a ways down the road.

Now, as far as the rustys steel fenders, I like them, but not much info out there. They are expensive, but if you factor in the price of flares, and the price of the armor itself they aren't that bad. I have a set on the way, should be here mid week. If there is any interest I can try to do a half assed write up on them (I say half assed because I'm usually working alone and don't have much time for pics etc)

Only downside I see with the fenders (for me) is the powder coat. I could have got them without it, but would have had to wait about a month for the next batch to be made, and I'm too impatient. So we will see how they hold up. I just hate powder coating on a wheeling rig because you can't touch it up once its scratched. I'd much rather rattle can it so that WHEN (not if) it gets scratched I just give it a shot of paint and all is well....

Sorry about that guys/gals. My jeep is a 1993. 4.0 auto with a rebuilt motor and Hesco Aluminum head. Transfer case was replaced with a new TC, heavy duty chain, and SYE. Tom Woods rear drive shaft. It has an old Pro-Comp 3" lift that over the last 15 years has sagged to about 1.5 inches. For the most part everything else is stock.

As for my plans... I would like a nice lift and 4.5 sounds great. I plan on adding some weight to it in the form of front and rear bumpers, maybe the Rusty's Fender Flare panels. Roof Rack, maybe some under armor protection down the road. In the distant future I will maybe look at a winch in the front and 33s.

Its been sitting for the last 3 years so I need to do some maintenance stuff to it to get it road worthy again. I need to replace the cables from the starter/alternator/battery. I found a new maker of some custom cables... a company named CE Electric Supply. I thought about giving them a try unless I hear something bad from more experienced guys here. Replacing the headliner as soon as the parts come in and I am installing the hood support kit that is advertised here in the sponsors section.

Again, any input is welcomed and I can keep answering any questions you all have about my platform.

Thanks again folks!

I forgot to mention... Full Traction Suspension is very close to home. Any word on their lift kits? It might be an option worth looking into only due to it being very accessible to me if I need parts or service.

If your not doing anything too crazy, keep it simple, you'll have room to grow and this is always an 'evolving' sport.

Any standard radius arm setup will be inexpensive, easy to install and you can always change it later (if you even need to, most don't)

Serious, rustys, etc are all good for most. As much as I hate to admit it, I'm running the rough country long arm and I'm impressed. Someday I'll go to the clayton 3 link, but I don't NEED it so it is a ways down the road.

Now, as far as the rustys steel fenders, I like them, but not much info out there. They are expensive, but if you factor in the price of flares, and the price of the armor itself they aren't that bad. I have a set on the way, should be here mid week. If there is any interest I can try to do a half assed write up on them (I say half assed because I'm usually working alone and don't have much time for pics etc)

Only downside I see with the fenders (for me) is the powder coat. I could have got them without it, but would have had to wait about a month for the next batch to be made, and I'm too impatient. So we will see how they hold up. I just hate powder coating on a wheeling rig because you can't touch it up once its scratched. I'd much rather rattle can it so that WHEN (not if) it gets scratched I just give it a shot of paint and all is well....

Yes please on the Write Up! I am very interested about these fender flares. :worship:

Full traction makes great stuff! I don't think you'd be disappointed with anything from them! I think they may even have a 4.5" long arm if you want to go that route....

I've been very interested in the rustys steel fenders as well! They look nice, don't seem to stick out too far, but give you solid coverage, they open the fenders up more than almost any other 'flare' I've seen, and you get the armor all in one shot. I cannot believe I haven't seen anything about them! I was talking to a guy on here who had them, but communication stopped before he actually installed them! (Hope that's not a sign!!)
Plus, I just love the way they look on that white waldy's cherokee! I've got a white 98 so I think it will look good, once I get my bumpers and do the rockers.... They should be here tomorrow so I'll likely put them on this weekend, and since there is no info out there, I'll take as many photos as I can and do a little write up.

Only thing I can think holding people back is the price tag, but a set of bushwackers runs ~$500 last time I checked, and like I said by the time you add that to the front and rear armor its probably cheaper to go with rustys....

Full traction makes great stuff! I don't think you'd be disappointed with anything from them! I think they may even have a 4.5" long arm if you want to go that route....

I've been very interested in the rustys steel fenders as well! They look nice, don't seem to stick out too far, but give you solid coverage, they open the fenders up more than almost any other 'flare' I've seen, and you get the armor all in one shot. I cannot believe I haven't seen anything about them! I was talking to a guy on here who had them, but communication stopped before he actually installed them! (Hope that's not a sign!!)
Plus, I just love the way they look on that white waldy's cherokee! I've got a white 98 so I think it will look good, once I get my bumpers and do the rockers.... They should be here tomorrow so I'll likely put them on this weekend, and since there is no info out there, I'll take as many photos as I can and do a little write up.

Only thing I can think holding people back is the price tag, but a set of bushwackers runs ~$500 last time I checked, and like I said by the time you add that to the front and rear armor its probably cheaper to go with rustys....

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing your pics and a write up about your initial thoughts!

Just FYI: I am very pleased with my 4 inch OME/DPG hybrid lift. Ride is very smooth and one of the best I have ever experienced in a 4x4. While not cheap I would still buy it again today.

http://dpgoffroad.com/productcategories/xj-cherokee-kits/

I have no financial interest in OME or DPG. I am just sharing my experience with their products.

X3! We ran DPG Offroad 4" Old man Emu/JKS Hybrid with 31's and now run it trimmed with 33's.

My opinions on other lift brands:
Old Man Emu is known for ride quality and R.E. is a bit more performance based and usually nets more than advertised.
I.r.o. is nice and I have wheeled with them and their rigs but the "caster adjuster" is a questioned design that has come apart on a few rigs. R.C. Is budget minded and has a rep for riding rough. Rustys has a reputation of poor C.S. and build quality with some.
If you want something Super nice and more performance based go with CLAYTON. TNT or RK have a good reputation too. If you have the ability to piece one together the new H.D. off road 3 link performed great at the Cherokee crawl.

Dirk at DPG Offroad would be a great person to call and talk to about OME options based on your intended use. He spent a lot of time answering and asking questions over multiple calls before during and after my purchase and installation. Mine is a DD and has traveled thousands of miles to events wheeled and came back. With and without my Xj expedition trailer! Hd offroad shackle relocation brackets helped the Old man emu leafs live up to their potential as well. My family and especially I spend a lot of time in my rig and have been very happy with our OME stuff for years and look forward to many more.

This is all however mostly based on what I have seen and been told since I have not run all of these brands myself.

I found a new maker of some custom cables... a company named CE Electric Supply. I thought about giving them a try unless I hear something bad from more experienced guys here.

I cut and crimped my own cables and run a 160amp durango alt. If you are looking to buy you should talk to 5-90 on here. He will be able to answer in detail about your upgrade needs with XJ specific answers.

If you have interest here is my build thread with lift, Wiring upgrades, headliner and a bunch more. In the next day or 2 I will be adding JCR quarter panel armor w integrated taillights and rub rail as well as Brown dog motor mounts with motor brackets to the thread. And also another trip report from the Cherokee Crawl in Harlan.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1080904

My plan later is to get the Hooligan front tube fenders and add a tube fender to the rear Jcr setup to match. I actually saw someone recently that has pretty much just that.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/XJMJ.PROUD/permalink/1420168251571086/#_=_https://www.facebook.com/groups/XJMJ.PROUD/permalink/1420168251571086/#_=_

A really tall 6" lifted jeep is tippy on and off the road, so I wouldn't recommend that for a novice driver.

Lol not it's not.

I drive a 6.5 inch and I've never even once come close to rolling. I've also drifted thanks to rain and poor traction before.

The key is to add stance WITH height to increase surface area. So add backspacing.

6" really isn't that tall

Retaining some sort of sway control and having quality shocks will help.

Dang gents, All of this is great input and I appreciate all of you taking the time to respond. Keep it flowing, unless this sums up the opinions out there :p

JRowell I really appreciate the offer and would love to do a trip, but I have a lot of work to get this girl road worth again. It will be a few months before I am hitting any trails, much less becoming a reliable daily driver again.

Back