• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which pads and rotors for cold rotor heavy duty stopping power?

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
Need new brakes on the '96 XJ and recently did a survey here on what best pads and rotors to get for the money. I drive like a grandma so although most suggested ceramic pads and slotted and drilled rotors I had decided on getting semi-metallic pads with drilled/slotted rotors. The impression I got was that ceramic pads only give their best stopping power (over semi-metallic) after they heat up a bit.

Since then my parameters have changed just a little and since I haven't gotten those parts yet I thought I'd re-ask my question.

Now it seems like I'll be towing some fairly heavy loads (although I know the XJ really isn't meant for it) and I want to re-submit my question based on these new demands. I'll still be driving super slow, but considering now I'll want the best stopping power I can get towing these heavy loads would this change the brake pad and rotor recommendation in any way?

Idea here is that any 'emergency' stopping I'll be doing is going to be done with relatively cool pads and rotors since I drive so slowly. Another way to form my question would be...whats the best pads/rotor setup for heavy stopping power with a cool rotor and pads?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hawk well know pad for racing apps and HD use.

Black Magic for pads.
Centric, hands down for rotors. Look up your rig then take your pick of flavors :)

Another vote for Black Magic padsand Centric premium rotors.
They work great cold and even better hot.
Best all around combo I have used.

I don't know why people keep asking this question. Right now black magic is as good as it gets.

The only people who recommend something other than black magic have never run them, and anyone who has run black magic along with ebc and hawks like the black magic stuff better.

I run black magic pads and couldn't be happier.

I run black magic pads. I happen to know the product developer rather well. I also run centric premium rotors based on his reccomendation

They will have the best cold bite out there. Significant testing was done on most the major brands before this pad was settled on.

However if you drive like a grandma they won't help you.
If you have long slow dragging stops you will glaze the rotors and they will have to be broken in again to be effective.

Also, if you are going to be pulling heavy loads, please consider a big brake kit, the performance increase is astounding.

I don't know why people keep asking this question. Right now black magic is as good as it gets.

The only people who recommend something other than black magic have never run them, and anyone who has run black magic along with ebc and hawks like the black magic stuff better. .

I should have mentioned I have used Hawks and EBC Yellows, both good pads, when hot. Both suck on cold mornings, where the BM pads work.
Blaine knows his stuff and sells a great pad.

Back