• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

saline valley

ej's xj

NAXJA Forum User
any body here do the saline valley death valley runs? me and some buddies are takin a 4 day weekend and hittin the trail for a campin and wheelin kinda weekend. headed up there late in october so hopefully its cooled down a bit. should be lots of fun though

Make sure you drive Titus canyon while you are there :D

Me, Panamint and Death Valleys? Indeed. Been a while since I've been up Saline. I'll post a bit more later tonight. Have you never been, and are curious what to expect, or just looking for others to join you?

David Bricker / SYR

I've never been... just kinda curious as to what kind of wheelin it is. I know most of the road is pretty straight forward with lots of turnoffs for crawlin and screwing off. But by all means anybody wants to join, the more the merriererer

The road into Saline Valley from South Pass is 2wd high clearance, unless a recent flash flood tears it up, in which case it can be anything from 4wd to impassible. The road is the world's worst possible washboard. Go over it at any speed, and expect parts to fall off.

The road through North Pass is less washboard, a bit shorter, but is a longer way to get to from the south.

The road through Steele Pass is 4wd, short wheelbase preferred.

Since all of this is in the National Park, there is no driving off established roads. There are a couple of side canyons in Saline Valley; perhaps the most interesting would be to take Lippencott Rd. up to the Racetrack. Lippencott has a very bad reputation. It is 4wd, low range required, and the shelf road is very narrow in some spots.

With a 4 day weekend, you could come in via Lippencott Rd, camping near the Racetrack (no camping at the Racetrack), so you could see the rocks in the late afternoon. Then head into saline the next day, staying 2 nights at the springs. Then go out Steele Pass or South Pass, depending on time.

David Bricker / SYR

Yeah Saline valley road is washboardy as hell. Last time I was on it was on my VStrom and it beat me up pretty good.

Sooo basically zip ties and duct tape are essential lol. I'm definitely looking forward to the trip just to get out and camp and wheel, but the whole 100miles of wash board is gonna kill me haha.

Should still be a lot of fun though... tryin to get a bigger group than 3rigs so far.

It's not ALL wasboard. At least that I remember. But there are big portions of wasboard.

The washboard part is on the floor of Saline Valley. I would estimate about 20-25 miles.

If I get time next week, I might try and take a gonzo run out there. But, by October, the road conditions could change.

David Bricker / SYR - SAN

Right on... didnt realize its about a 7.5hr drive from where im at haha.... hope the 89 pulls the whole drive

How much of a grade is the whole trip from san Diego also if anybody knows... a lot of lat land or mostly up hill??

Last edited:
just remember how long of a walk out it is when you shake it apart ;)

From San Diego (just did this three weeks ago), the only major hill is Cajon Pass. 395 from Victorville to Ridgecrest is pretty flat. From Ridgecrest to 190 has a bit of a pull, but nothing major.

David Bricker / SYR - LAX

How long did it take you?? Will definitely be slower than normal im the jeep but I dont mind slow. Kinda why I bought a jeep lol. Even with long slow trip there and back im lookin forward to it very much

Unfortunately, I can't give you a perfect answer, since I didn't go as far north on 395, past Ridgecrest, as you will, and I stopped overnight in Temecula.

I left Temecula at 9:00am and arrived in the south side of Ridgecrest at 12:15pm. From the south side of Ridgecrest to the Saline Valley turnoff on Highway 190 should take around 2 hours, maybe a bit less. San Diego to Temecula should be around an hour.

So, my best guess for a passenger car, not driving crazy fast, the total trip should be around 6-7 hours.

Also note the 395 north of Victorville has construction going on for about 20 miles, and is limilited to one lane, and 45 mph.

David Bricker / SYR

I did it on a big heavy adventure bike from San Diego (miramar) to the Panamint Valley resort in about 5 hours and some change. A Jeep will probably take longer since I'm able to split traffic on the bike and maintain my speeds better up hill.

I'd agree with the 6-7 hour estimate.

Awesome! Was hoppin it wasn't an incline the whole damn way... 4.10's and 33's are right in that wrong ratio for the hills lol.

Any day I dont ride my bike I regret it simply for traffic and not bein able to split

There are actually a bunch of hill climbs. The longest one for me was the I-15 going up towards Hisperia. Then there was another on the 395 I think. I'd have to dig out my GPS files though to verify my route. I did a lot of it in the dark trying to get up there for the ADVRIDER "NOOB Rally" but on the way back I did it in the day light and most of the route is beautiful with part of it being though a huge open OHV park that I really want to get back to.

Back