• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Death Wobble Story

theMetal

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, wanted to share my story to possibly get some suggestions to fix some wobble I have.

First of all the wobble I'm trying to fix is not "death" it's really not very bad. But I had a fairly scary incident that did involve the worst kind of death wobble.

Some details: 2001 Cherokee Sport, 201,000 miles. 2.5 inch lift springs in the front and taller shackles in the back to level it out, also removed rear sway bar.

The problem is when I get to about 52-53 miles an hours, and am slightly turning left, I will get a tiny bit of wobble. If I speed up or slow down, it goes away. If I don't speed up or slow down, it gradually gets worse. Only turning left, if I'm driving straight or turning right, nothing. That's the problem I am trying to solve.

I was driving down a fairly empty highway in southern Colorado. I was doing right about 70 miles an hour, I wasn't worried about the setting off my wobble because the only time it ever does it is at 53~ miles an hour. I smacked a bump and that is when I saw death in the road in front of me. The whole Jeep was thrashing violently. I slowed it down as fast as I could, stopped on the side of the road, changed my pants, then crawled under to see if there was anything weird. I saw nothing out of the ordinary, so I got back on the road and couldn't go past 40 mph without the thrashing starting up again. So I limped it to my parents house.

My dad has a shop, we took the tires off and they were all out of balance by a decent amount so we balanced and rotated them. I got back in and everything seemed to be fine, it wouldn't even wobble at its usual wobble speed. I had my dad keep it and borrowed a different vehicle from him for a while. He took it in and had the track bar bushing and ball joint replaced, and the steering ball joints. Also put a new stabilizer on and got it aligned.

Unfortunately, a couple months later, the wobble has returned. Again its just at that 53~ miles an hour and turning slightly left.

Anyone have a similar situation? I have some skyjacker lower control arms for a 4" TJ lift I plan on putting on and I was thinking of getting a drop pitman arm as well. What would be the first thing you guys replace?

Modifications are 2.5 inch lift springs in front, and 1 inch shackles in the back. Also I removed the rear sway bar.

Usual culprit is the trac bar is worn. While weight is on the wheels have someone sit in the Jeep and go back and forth full lock to lock steering and look for anything loose. Pay attention to the Tie Rod ends, the bushings in the axle end of the trac bar and the frame end of the trac bar. Look for any movement in there.

With the rig on the ground have someone quickly make short turns of the wheel while you lay under the rig and feel all steering link from end to end and the track bar. Where the thumping is hardest is where the problem is.

John

Back