• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to Give Your 97+ XJ More Factory Toggle Switch Slots

thatxjguy

NAXJA Forum User
I had a problem with aftermarket toggle switches because they don't look anything like the rest and I want my interior to look nice, like the factory intended it. There's only one problem – the factory didn't give me enough.

In this tutorial, I'll show you a simple way to add more toggle switch slots to your existing toggle switch bezel.

Since I had 2 toggle switch bezels laying around, and since I wired my cigarette lighter to my CB radio, not only did I have enough bezels to go around and have no need for the cigarette lighter anymore, but I found that one cigarette lighter equals the length of two toggle switch bezel slots.

With that being said, I pulled a saw and a soldering iron out of my toolbox. The saw will cut through the bezel and the soldering iron will be used to "plastic weld" the parts back together.

For this tutorial you will need:

1. A saw of some kind
2. A soldering iron
3. Two 1997+ Jeep Cherokee toggle switch bezels
4. A metal file

You'll want to start by cutting (as straightly as possible) your toggle switch bezel. You will want two toggle switch slots since it's the same width as the cigarette lighter:

eqs187.jpg

You will notice that I cut my donor bezel into FIVE parts. I cut two of the toggle switch slots because I'll be using them in the installation, I cut off the mounting tab on the left side because I'll be using it to attach the bezel back to the Jeep, and I cut a little off of the bottom of the two toggle switch slots to match the height of the cigarette lighter.

The points where I cut are critical to make this work, so observe carefully before cutting.

Next up, you will take your metal file and just kind of file the edges of your cut to make the edges nice and smooth so they'll attach together nicely.

Then, you will want to line them up the best you can, and start melting the plastic together with your soldering iron. It doesn't have to look perfect, since the plastic will hold it together very sturdy once it cools off:

2643ms4.jpg

You'll also want to align the mounting tab on the edge so that it would match the mounting tab on the cigarette lighter. Once you align it right, start melting it to make a good plastic weld so that it looks like so:

2yowpix.jpg

And the finished product looks pretty professional if I do say so myself:

33e30x5.jpg

I took on this project because the police package 4-switch toggle bezels are just WAY TOO rare and WAY TOO expensive. The benefit to this project is that not only was it completely free for me, but I get one additional switch than even the police XJs had.

I hope this helps some of you like it helped me!

Great tutorial.

You can also use scrap plastic from a parts truck and/or bondo to build up the weld area more as well. Then sand and paint with interior paint or wrap it in auto grade vinyl.

Great tutorial.

You can also use scrap plastic from a parts truck and/or bondo to build up the weld area more as well. Then sand and paint with interior paint or wrap it in auto grade vinyl.

Good points, I will look into cleaning up that seam in the future when I get bored lol.

For now, function over fashion :) Haha.

Here is an easy way also, I plan on adding more to each cluster as there is room. I wanted the switches up where I had a better view of them.

Factory position sucked as far ease of use and seeing what switch you were using is the problem most of all while driving down a trail at night.

Factory position sucked as far ease of use and seeing what switch you were using is the problem most of all while driving down a trail at night.

Seeing it is no problem for me. They light up in the dark when the headlights go on, so I can see what icon is on each switch before I press it.

Here is an easy way also, I plan on adding more to each cluster as there is room. I wanted the switches up where I had a better view of them.

Good idea.
Have a link to where you bought the pods?

Great idea! In fact, someone thought it was so great they are now selling them on ebay!

Yeah, that's me lol.

I found a police package one, so I'm selling the one I made. I won't post a link though because I think I'll get in trouble with the mods if I do that. :spin1:

Back