• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diff cover clearance

DoWorkXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have some good pics of cut and plated diff covers for tie rod clearance? I have clearance issues with my hp60. I think I want to cut and plate it, rather than bending the tie rod for clearance.

I don't have a pic on hand, but I had to do that to the RuffStuff cover on the HP60 I built for a friends jeep. I just kept cutting the cover til it cleared, then used a piece of driveshaft tubing to fill in the hole so it allowed the tierod to swing into the cutout.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Maybe weld some DOM in there. I think there should be at least an inch of space before I hit ring gear.

Probably a stupid question but would it be doable to flip arms and make a 44 or 60 rear steer?

Yossarian19, behind the axle steering is not a easy thing to do. We set of a ton of axles like this at work. Big benefit of it is that you don't have a tie rod to smash anymore. Plus it it's gives a clean look. When you do it on short lifted jeep you have everything clear by 1/8" sometimes, but it clears. Things are super tight though. You can't just flip 60 arms around, you have to have a doubled ended arm so you can run the drag link in front still and the tie rod behind. Driver side arm can be backwards. We have found a company that does make 44 arms for behind the axle. There really goofy looking because they bend around the caliper to clear it and the arm is thinner then I would like in some spots but can be done.

Yossarian19, behind the axle steering is not a easy thing to do. We set of a ton of axles like this at work. Big benefit of it is that you don't have a tie rod to smash anymore. Plus it it's gives a clean look. When you do it on short lifted jeep you have everything clear by 1/8" sometimes, but it clears. Things are super tight though. You can't just flip 60 arms around, you have to have a doubled ended arm so you can run the drag link in front still and the tie rod behind. Driver side arm can be backwards. We have found a company that does make 44 arms for behind the axle. There really goofy looking because they bend around the caliper to clear it and the arm is thinner then I would like in some spots but can be done.

Thanks for indulging my curiosity. Doesn't sound like the solution for the OP but it's interesting none the less.

Back