• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil change 1997 vs 2001

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

I bought this 1997 Cherokee last week and have been going through it. My other Jeep is a 2001 Cherokee. Maybe I'm just dense, but its MUCH easier to change the oil filter on a 2001 than a 1997. The oil pressure sending unit on the 2001 is a short sensor that you barely notice. On the 1997 its practically in the way.

It didn't help that the previous owner must have used a gorilla to put the oil filter on. I had to put pry bar through the filter to get it loose. Hey, at least it was a NAPA filter. :)

Are there any common modifications to make this a little easier? Like getting the oil pressure sending unit out the way with an elbow, relocation hose, switching to a newer style 3 wire sensor, etc. ? Or do most folks just live with it and knock off the sensor once in a while? ;-)

I probably wouldn't be writing this if I didn't have the 2001 which is great except for the problem heads and mini-cats.

I've had a 94 an 00 and a 97 now. it's all been the same to me.

I usually just remove the oil pressure sender so it's out of the way and put it back on. If I am feeling up to it sometimes I will hit the sender with some contact cleaner just because.

Edelmann makes tons of fittings. You could get an angle adapter if you wanted.

99's are not an issue just don't tighten filter so tight as the other owner did, I have no idea why people do that.

Oil filters are supposed to be hand tightened only. I guess that must have been a dumb gorilla lol.

I had a 96, 97, 98, 99, and a 01. Oil filter changes from across those years are the exact same to me. I don't see any difference.

gasket contact then one half to a full turn that's it. Makes getting it off much easier. Think of it like any other gasket. It actually tells you on the filter box what to do. I guess all those enginerds are idiots.

Back