• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant temperture question

RaptorXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My jeep gauge says I have been running 210-220 last few months. In 6 years of owning it, never ran that hot since I installed a 2 row radiator. Now I have replaced most everything with OEM dealership parts, hoses, thermostat, radiator cap, and have a high flow Hesco thermostat housing. Even changed the temp sensor on the back of the head. Only thing I haven't replaced is the water pump. So I bought a harbor freight thermo gun. On the thermostat housing with the 195 thermostat it reads 198-200 is the hottest spot I can find. Does that point to since thermostat housing is 198-200 my temp gauge is just off then?

Re: Coolant temperature question

The temperature gauge is an indicator, not a precise measuring device. It indicates cold, normal, and hot. Approximately 205-215* is a normal indication for a properly maintained 4.0L XJ.

IR gun is way more accurate than stock gauges. At this point, just know that your gauge is higher than true temp.

Most tstats are 195 range, which means you hit 195 and they open and start flowing, and once below 195, they start closing. That doesn't mean you'll stay AT 195, but rather you can go up to 205/210/215 depending on where you live, outside temps, what you're doing with the truck. I'd keep an eye on it, and also change your coolant before winter and make sure its decent color when it comes out and not a lot of gunk / sediment.

Back