PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to change to adjustable upper control arms?

2001-XJ
August 13th, 2014, 07:45
Hello All,

I am new to the jeep world so bare with me. I just picked up a 2001 2 door Cherokee with a 3" lift. I noticed that only between 37Mph and 43Mph I begin to get death wobble. The control arms aren't the best in the world bushing wise. Should I go with an adjustable control arm or would the OEM replacements be fine?

VAhasnoWAVES
August 13th, 2014, 09:22
OE is fine given your lift height.

hopefully the bushing is indeed the source of your wobble. but keep in mind it could be one of many contributing factors.

2001-XJ
August 13th, 2014, 10:02
I do need new tires as well I noticed the tires on it were not balanced.

DeftwillP
August 13th, 2014, 10:24
It could be hundreds of things. Last time it had an alignment? specs on said alignment? Trackbar and steering angles?

Tim_MN
August 13th, 2014, 11:32
At 3" of lift, one should consider longer lower control arms. If adjustable control arms are within your budget, they are better than fixed control arms. Replacing worn bushings or suspension/steering components, and balancing the tires should cure any wobbles.

genevamotorsports
August 13th, 2014, 15:02
Measure the actual lift and compare it to stock. Hopefully it has settled between 2 and 3 inches. If so, check everything DeftwillP listed. You may find that it is actually 3.5 or 4 inches. That creates a whole laundry list of potential drive line issues. At least you will know where to start.