• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough idle / popping

wallisek

NAXJA Forum User
At wits end, tired and all greasy dirty. Need some ideas from clear heads. I was driving home yesterday from work and the Jeep started to give me fits. It was almost 100 F and I have a 40 mile one way commute home, mostly freeway. Engine stayed at a solid 210 the whole trip. Anyways, I got off the freeway and noticed the idle seemed a bit off / rough. A few miles through stop and go traffic, it got progressively worse. By the time I made it into town, I was having to give it light throttle to keep from dying at stops Accelerated fine and seemed like it had plenty of power.

I literally pull into the drive way and the engine is shaking / stumbling so bad the shifter is bouncing around. CEL comes on and throws a P0306 (Misfire # 6), I shut it off. I thought maybe this was the typical heat soak issue so I let it cool off and tried again cold. Same terrible stumble, barely idled.

CPS test failed so I replaced it with a new one. Started right up and idles a lot better, but now sounds like a carb'd v8 with. A bit of rough idle which is completely random. If I give it throttle, it will run fine for a few seconds and then drop 100-200 rpms and then I hear a pop from the engine bay.

I swapped over the coil pack and IAC from my wife's Jeep, no change. Fuel pressure is good, 50psi, 40psi after shutoff / 5 mins. Injectors tested with my multimeter, they all were within spec. Pulled plugs which aren't that old, look perfectly clean. Compression test was good, all cylinder were 5-10 psi of 150. 170-180 if I cranked it for a bit.

No signs of oil/water mix. I've taken very good care of my Jeep, I'm OCD when it comes to maintenance. 10w30 full synthetic every 6-7k. At this point, I'm at a loss. The only things I weren't able to replace or test is the TPS, cam sensor and MAP sensor. Another thing comes to mind is maybe the timing chain jumped a tooth? O2 sensors were replaced last year and I no longer have a cat.

2001 XJ 5spd 4.0 w/ 215k.

Any ideas? This is my only vehicle besides my wife's, and we both work. (two projects in the garage but they aren't road worthy yet lol ) I'm getting tired of maintaining a fleet of vehicles, I'm about ready to treat myself to a new commuter car, I've never actually owned a new car before.

Update. Disconnected battery and let it sit for a while. Wired it back up and misfire/hesitation with throttle is gone but it still idles low and rough. That rules out timing chain....damn electronics.Tried disconnected O2 sensors one at a time, no change.

I may solve this yet, thanks guys. :p Computer finally threw another code, P0123. TPS voltage too high. 5v on one wire and the middle wire shows .76v fully closed, 4.46v fully opened. The IAC was replaced a while back with a knockoff, MAP sensor was replaced as well with a junkyard pull. The TPS is the only factory part left still connected, maybe it is time to ditch it.

Back