• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who's ready for hunting season?

No pigs spotted, but these two bad boys are now my target on the opener in a couple of weeks.

These were in the western sierras. We were in the eastern sierras the previous week, and didn't see ANYTHING. Pretty crazy.

Cali has a hunting season? When my dad was stationed up at Fort Ord IIRC they had a "lottery" to find out who got to hunt that year. But that was back in 90-91 time frame. I was just a kid then I barely remember most of it.

I'm looking forward to fall turkey season in November.

Springturkey2010-1.jpg

Oh, and by the way, I hunt turkey with a shotgun. 12 gauge. 3 inch shell. No. 4 shot. I try to get them within 40 yards or so and shoot them in the head.

Last edited:
I wish I was...

I am from the midwest and bow hunt, but I have no idea where to even begin to try and hunt out here. Its a whole different world out here compared to where I am from in whitetail country.

Anyone generous enough to take a newbie to the west coast out? haha! I have good gear.

I'm regretting not putting in for archery tags.... My hunting buddies were unavailable this season so I didn't put in. I'm too new at it to be trying to do it myself. Hoping to find someone knowledgeable to help me out next season.

I wish I was...

I am from the midwest and bow hunt, but I have no idea where to even begin to try and hunt out here. Its a whole different world out here compared to where I am from in whitetail country.

Anyone generous enough to take a newbie to the west coast out? haha! I have good gear.

I'm regretting not putting in for archery tags.... My hunting buddies were unavailable this season so I didn't put in. I'm too new at it to be trying to do it myself. Hoping to find someone knowledgeable to help me out next season.

Good group of guys right here.

http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/index.php

If life was being fair I would be hunting the CRIT on Monday

Dover are everywhere around here this year as far as I can tell and 2 weeks ago killed 2 hogs the same day in Ozark Mountains "Mark Twain National Forest", life is good. Hunted the hogs gaining access using the XJ only way to get up there as most all roads were washed away years ago during flooding.

Plenty of deer sign but didn't see any Mountain Lion or Bear both of which are in the area but no open season on either. Saw Turkey on 5 different locations in large numbers. One thing I did not see and hunted often when younger was Quail we used to have more than you could count now almost gone, mostly due to habit loss and use of pesticides several yrs. back I guess.

Glad to see people in CA. can hunt with Bows at least as guns seems to be a non-wanted thing in your state.

Hillbilly we can hunt with guns here. They haven't taken our hunting arms yet.

Back