• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Considering options for new 1997 XJ

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
Hey All,

Brief intro... I have had a Silver 01 XJ for 10 years. Bought it July 2004 with 36,000 miles on it and now it has 320,000 miles. I have left it stock and just got through refreshing the suspension. New control arms/axle bushings, ball joints, TREs, track bar, unit bearing and rear leafs.

Today I bought a Red 97 XJ with 184,000 miles. It has the factory UpCountry suspension package. Apparently it was custom ordered by the first owner. I got the window sticker! Along the way it received a minor lift kit. The factory 3" shackles were replaced with 6" shackles, coil spacers, and a 1" transfer case drop. It came with BFG A/T KO 30s.

I can see through the rear leafs near the axle. I'm assuming the springs are done and the shackles haven't helped them any. Ride heigh currently measures 19.5" from center of wheel cap to bottom of fender (my stock 01 XJ measures 18"). I'm "guessing" at one point this was 20.5" based on UpCountry being +1" over normal factory and the longer shackles.

It looks good as is, but I believe there is too much body movement and the ball joints feel like they need to be replaced.

I am wondering if I should try for 2.5" OME springs all around to refresh the springs and do away with the longer shackles and coil spacers? I'm even considering going back to factory original UpCountry, or bumping up the lift a little bit.

I'm comfortable stripping off the entire suspension and rebuilding/replacing it. I'm not interested in cutting the fenders for bigger tires, but I'd consider using 31s or 33s and any needed axle upgrades.

Most of the miles on it will be normal driving, city and highway.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I would go to 2.5 inches of lift, OME is very nice, and run 31 inch tires. Along with bigger tires some 4.10 gears would keep it drivable, though you could get by with stock gears.

Jim Grooms ran the OME lift. He really liked the ride quality.

NAXJA013.jpg

X2 on regearing the axles.

Back