• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 surging while cruising....searched before

markaboo929

NAXJA Forum User
OK I have a 96 XJ 2 wheel drive auto,stock lift.I have searched and searched for issues related to surging when cruising/rough-ish idle.OK have tried both o2 sensors replaced,cat is clean through (Magnaflow) removed to inspect.Tried different TPS,ECM,Map sensor, removed trans controller fuse to test trans solenoids...still surges around 200-300 rpm's,even with trans controller out of the game.Problem is more noticeable when hot/running temp.No vac leaks either.Also changed the Fuel Pump,Bosch brand,Fuel pressure regulator in the tank...another found thread I can start...It IS replaceable.anyways I can not figure it out.The manifold/header is cracked but I am hard pressed to believe it will fix the surging.New one to be installed.When it acts up it feels exactly like a clogged cat,falls on it's face,but when it nuetral it revs up fine plus slight speed cruising 35 mph or so surging.It bugging the crap out of me. :(...hopefuly some one has the direction to go next.Have not tried diff crank sensor though,I don't think it would change the problem either.

Back