• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing with stock gears - Question on tire size

YoungAndJeepin

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 4.0 HO with the AW4 Tranny. Dana 30/35C Yes it has tranny cooler
My jeep has a 4.5" lift with 31's but with the stock 3.55s so it's a little undergeared.
I will eventually be starting in a local series that races stock 4 cylinder cars (gutted, caged, etc) and will need to tow the car (around 1700-2000 lbs) plus the trailer (Don't have one but will be borrowing one which I'm guessing will weigh 1500-2000 lbs w/trailer brakes) For a total weight around 3.5-4k.
The XJs can tow 4900 lbs with the AW4, but since I'm a bit undergeared, It would not really be good on the tranny or motor to tow almost max weight.
I do not have the money to regear my axles (saving regearing for 35's and swap the D35C) SO here is my solution and I'm wanting peoples opinions (who have experience towing with the xj)

I am thinking of just putting on stock sized wheels in the rear ~27-28" when towing. It would look plain goofy but I want to be easy on my 185k motor and tranny. I think this is the easiest and best option but I would like some input

Thanks! :us:

Here are pics of the Tow rig and the car It'll be towing.
2014-03-27_16-06-38_87_zps1325b164.jpg

2013-11-04_14-01-17_718_zps9553bb42.jpg

Leave the 31's on. Just don't try and accelerate quickly.
Shift the tranny to "3" when towing. Do not use "D"... Ever when towing.

Get electric trailer brake setup on the XJ (Tekosha controller and wiring).
Use a drop hitch to level the trailer.

I'm sure others have more.

Change 4 tires, or change none.

As suggested already, all towing should be in 3rd, never in OverDrive.

Install trailer brakes.

install big trans cooler.
service trans before and after trip.

heat is what kills the fluid, bad fluid kills the trans.
keep it cool and keep it serviced and you'll be fine.

you say it's local, rent a uhaul for the day?

My friend and I used his 96 XJ AW4 that has over 270,XXX miles on it, a trans cooler, 32" tires, and stock gears to tow my (newly purchased) 89 Comanche from NJ all the way back to Pittsburgh. It did so flawlessly. Towing something that small, you should be fine.

Thanks for the 4 tires, ill look into a set of 215/75 or 225/70's. I still have my stock snowflake rims, theyve been on craigslist for a while but no takers. Driving in 3, that's a great tip thank you. I'll look into an aftermarket trans cooler as well. and be sure to service the trans often. Actually I've been meaning to service my trans since I bought the thing but BOTH fill and drain plugs are corroded in and stripped. I'm sure im overdue for a fluid change.
I could indeed rent a Uhaul truck. i think theyre 40 a day. The last one I had was just a dinky 6 cylinder though.

...... but BOTH fill and drain plugs are corroded in and stripped. I'm sure im overdue for a fluid change.

this statement concerns me a little though...
it sounds like you are confusing the 4WD transfer case with the transmission.
do a little research into servicing your transmission as well as the t-case and you will see what i mean.

this statement concerns me a little though...
it sounds like you are confusing the 4WD transfer case with the transmission.
do a little research into servicing your transmission as well as the t-case and you will see what i mean.

Oops yeah i meant the tcase both the plugs are stuck as well as the one plug on the tranny. My tranny fluid is still pink though, I'm not sure about my tcase. But it will be ripped apart in the near future for SYE anyway

a torch will be your best asset in removing t cast plugs.

heat the case a bit and they will come right out.

Back