• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gas tank swap fuel gauge

shoran429

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I'm new here and just bought a 1996 xj a few months ago with 89.5k. now its got 93k. Around 90.5k the tank started leaking from the sending unit plate... Then I learned those parts are hard to find.

Anyway, so I swapped out to the new 97+ gas tank a few days ago and while testing the set up my gas gauge would read half a tank when the floater was at the top... empty when bottom. This was to be expected.

However, now that its all up and finished (brand new fuel module by the way) and the old ones to test with (one came with the plastic tank and still have the original from the jeep) my gas gauge does nothing. only seems to work with the original sending unit (car runs just fuel gauge).

It appears to need to be grounded to the old fuel module, how ever the new one is plastic... I had working before and something changed somewhere clearly. Any ideas would be awesome.

Not against aftermarket fuel gauges or swapping a 97+ into the car. A 97+ was already on the list to make a fuel tank read full later down the road (or at least to try).

Thanks, SH

Back