• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A guy walks into an auto parts store . . .

Nimrod

Degenerate Jeeper
NAXJA Member
This may be a silly question, but then again maybe not. Here it is:

Given that XJs come with both D35 and C8.25 rear axles during a period of several overlapping years, how do you ensure when you buy brake parts in an auto parts store that you are getting the parts you need? If you tell the parts guy the year of your XJ and the displacement and number of cylinders, you could just as easily get D35 parts as C8.25 parts, right? I would not expect the guy behind the counter to know the difference.

This is not an entirely academic question. I'm on my way to Pep Boys having just swapped a D30 for a C8.25 and want to be sure I get the right parts.

When the guy behind the counter asks you what size brakes you have. You tell them what size drums you have.

D35's usually have 10" brakes. 8.25's usually have 9" brakes.

Vehicle must be really hard to steer :D

hey where in los angeles are you? I don't think it is a over lap they just came with both rear ends, but I think the 81/4 is not a abs and the d35 came either, I could be wrong.

This may be a silly question, but then again maybe not. Here it is:

Given that XJs come with both D35 and C8.25 rear axles during a period of several overlapping years, how do you ensure when you buy brake parts in an auto parts store that you are getting the parts you need? If you tell the parts guy the year of your XJ and the displacement and number of cylinders, you could just as easily get D35 parts as C8.25 parts, right? I would not expect the guy behind the counter to know the difference.

This is not an entirely academic question. I'm on my way to Pep Boys having just swapped a D30 for a C8.25 and want to be sure I get the right parts.

When the guy behind the counter asks you what size brakes you have. You tell them what size drums you have.

D35's usually have 10" brakes. 8.25's usually have 9" brakes.

Vehicle must be really hard to steer :D

Don't think he quite got your humor. We all know Nimrod meant D35.

XJ Cherokee have 9 inch or 10 inch brakes. Simply tell the guy what axle you have.

10 inch brakes have ribbed drums, and 9 inch brakes have smooth drums.

XJ/MJ D44 use 10 x 2.5" brake drums

Last edited:
Also, most parts stores specify which axle it's for in the listing. You just have to find a counter guy that's competent enough to interpret the difference. (I know O'Reilly's does.) They're still going to ask if you have 9 or 10 inch brakes.

I always, always, look up the parts I want before I go and just give them part numbers.

Imagine the confusion when you've swapped axles and have to go to the parts store. They always want to ask me what these F-150 brakes are going on and get confused when I tell them it's a 93 Jeep Cherokee.

Also, most parts stores specify which axle it's for in the listing. You just have to find a counter guy that's competent enough to interpret the difference. (I know O'Reilly's does.) They're still going to ask if you have 9 or 10 inch brakes.

I always, always, look up the parts I want before I go and just give them part numbers.

Imagine the confusion when you've swapped axles and have to go to the parts store. They always want to ask me what these F-150 brakes are going on and get confused when I tell them it's a 93 Jeep Cherokee.

Hi I need brakes hubs and rotors for a 1976 bronco front end.
I also need Chevy 1500 front lines from a 1995 4wd
And I need a jeep Cherokee power steering hp line.

Counter dude was confused as all hell!

XJ Cherokee have 9 inch or 10 inch brakes. Simply tell the guy what axle you have.

10 inch brakes have ribbed drums, and 9 inch brakes have smooth drums.

XJ/MJ D44 use 10 x 2.5" brake drums

i want to know what parts stores you guys are going to... i always look up part numbers before i go in unless im in a rush.

I always look up the Jeep part numbers before I go to the parts store. When buying parts you should always know more than the counter monkey at IdiotZone/O'Reilly's/Advance.

When I get to the local NAPA, I talk to the manager, who is a Jeep owner. After 15 years of buying my parts from him, he remembers my name, my Jeep, and he always gets me the right parts on the first try.

oh no, i totally agree that you should know what your going in there for. if nothing else it keeps you from wasting your own time. but the majority of people who work at my local parts stores are about as competent as a cucumber....

Back