• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ conversion with 5x5 lug pattern

nosigma

NAXJA Member # 1371
NAXJA Member
Finishing up my sleeved and trussed D30 which will use WJ outers (TNT spacer welded on) and WJ brakes. The 35's I picked up came on brand new 5x5 wheels. Normally the WJ conversion uses 01 TJ unit bearings but those are 5x4.5 lug pattern.

I see three possible options:
1) Just use the TJ hubs and get some wheel spacers that will convert 5x4.5 to 5x5 and call it a day.
2) Buy some new wheels and stay on 4.5" centers with the TJ hubs.
3) Use a WJ or JK hub that is 5x5.

Option 3 is where my question is. Does anyone know if the WJ or JK hubs would fit and have the right spacing to work with the conversion?

John

Last edited:
The WJ hub has a flange offset of 2.11", the 01 Cherokee hub has a flange offset of 1.9 and the JK's is 1.9 as well. Assuming it has the same mounting lugs, the JK hub is the bolt pattern you want and the right flange offset. Note, though, that the JK uses a longer stub shaft and presumably it does so for a reason. It's either spline count, length thru the hub or length back from hub to U-joint or some combination and I'm not sure.
I'd be really curious to see you use the JK hub, but I think the easier method is going to be wheel adapters.
If you do pursue JK hubs, please post up results.

Bad advice from this guy ^^
Sure, the brakes will fit right - but the U-joints will be 1/4" out of alignment with the ball joint. This means U-joints will die quick deaths and give noisy / chunky / crappy operation while they do live. I've had the same thought at times but no, it doesn't work out.

you can't use a wj unit bearing easily. They have CV joints, so you can't use their stub shafts with XJ inner shafts. You cannot use XJ stub shafts with WJ unit bearings, or JK unit bearings AFAIK. JK stub shafts use a different Ujoint size, so you can't use them with XJ inner shafts.
One thing i wanted to try was Ram 1500 d44 knuckles and hubs. They supposedly bolt up to D30 inner C's.

Sounds like spacers or new wheels are the only two options. Not crazy about spacers because they will introduce even more of an offset load on unit bearings but that may be the best option.

Thanks.

John

you can't use a wj unit bearing easily. They have CV joints, so you can't use their stub shafts with XJ inner shafts. You cannot use XJ stub shafts with WJ unit bearings, or JK unit bearings AFAIK. JK stub shafts use a different Ujoint size, so you can't use them with XJ inner shafts.
One thing i wanted to try was Ram 1500 d44 knuckles and hubs. They supposedly bolt up to D30 inner C's.

JK Dana 30 stub shafts use a 5-760x just like a late XJ. The JK Dana 44 is the one with the larger u-joint.

You may be able to use the weld-on spacers with JK hubs, JK stub shafts, and XJ inner shafts. Ideally you want the ball joint centerline to pass through the center of the u-joint.

Use xj knuckle. Jk unit bearing and stub with a 760 ujoint size (d30). Then I dont know on brakes. Call black magic brakes for those. It will work...

Finishing up my sleeved and trussed D30 which will use WJ outers (TNT spacer welded on) and WJ brakes. The 35's I picked up came on brand new 5x5 wheels. Normally the WJ conversion uses 01 TJ unit bearings but those are 5x4.5 lug pattern.

I see three possible options:
1) Just use the TJ hubs and get some wheel spacers that will convert 5x4.5 to 5x5 and call it a day.
2) Buy some new wheels and stay on 4.5" centers with the TJ hubs.
3) Use a WJ or JK hub that is 5x5.

Option 3 is where my question is. Does anyone know if the WJ or JK hubs would fit and have the right spacing to work with the conversion?

John

So you want to run 5x5 front and 4X4.5 rear......????

Last edited:
Check the backspacing of your wheels, they may be around 5" backspace, in that case a 1" or 1.25" spacer will put you at 4/3.75" of back space, which is pretty common. It's actually a cheap way to upgrade to 17" wheels and not spend a fortune. Rubicon take offs are plentiful around here, but wrong bolt pattern.

Back