• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauges no work and "no bus" Uhhhh wat?

sardo_67

NAXJA Forum User
Ok did some shit to my XJ, had the batt unhooked a while, messed around with a radio in it. Now trying to drive it and it does drive although the gauges don't work and the odometer says "no bus". I've had the cluster out, checked the connections, fuses, everything still nothing.

Any ideas?

no bus means the cluster isn't talking to the ecu.
since it starts and runs it's mostly likely a connection issue with the cluster. The connectors suck. Pull cluster and tweak connector with a dental pick. Clean contacts with an eraser.

see if it works then.

Ok working on actually fixing this now.

Trouble shot the CPS and 5v supply circuit like Ken said to do. Getting 4.67 volts on all of the spots to check.

I'm currently taking the dash apart now, is there anything I can check in the gauge cluster to see what the volts should be?

Try a search on the forum. This is a common issue with '97 and up XJs. (I'm assuming you have one of these, since you don't mention it.) You'll find a lot of good information here already spelled out about this problem.

If you have a no-bus, and the engine runs, there is a connectivity issue at the instrument cluster plug. This is a common problem and there are other threads with info. Jeep used to make a repair kit to deal with this exact problem, IDK if they are still available.

I've been searching but can find it, is there a way I can check each female pin in the body side harness where the cluster plugs into to see if one is bad?

I had the gauge out and wires free from the mounts in the dash and booked them up, pushed, wiggles, tapped, hit, cleaned, greased, nothing. Still no bus.

When that happens to mine, I slap the dash above the instruments real hard, and it's fixed for a couple more months.

Someday, I might dig into it. Or I might not.

Ok new issue. No start, cranks, no spart.

Ideas? I'm googling this crap too and been through a few threads with ideas but something I can shoot or check?

Installed an aftermarket fuel cell and pump, wired it in just like the OEM one was and while the jeep would start it wouldn't run the pump the way it should be. Took apart the power distribution block, checked, cleaned, brushed, blew out, cleaned more and then greased. Worked perfect for 100yds and then the jeep died, no power to the pump, hot wires the pump directly and it worked but no start.

About to light this on fire and walk away.

Suggest you look for dirty or loose grounds; specifically on the block beneath the coil (front passenger side of block) and near the oil sending unit (rear passenger side of block).
I have only had a No Bus on my '98 when the vehicles electrical harness ground was dirty and loose.
For me.... the gauges not responding is common place... I have had the TSB performed in 2000 where they cut off the buss connectors and solder in new ones (fix lasted 4 months), cleaned the connector and cluster pins (at least 10 times) and the problem returns. Even used scotch bright and buffed the connector and cluster pins and applied dielectric grease; problem still comes and goes.
The solution I stumbled across about 10 years ago when the gauges become non responsive is to flip the directional arm to make a Right Turn and the gauges return to being responsive. Works every time !!!!!!

Dealt with this on my 00. I found the harness that connects to the battery was insanely corroded..I replaced it with another good one and was good to go after that. It's like 6 connections all under the hood. Took about an hour to swap the harness out

Dealt with this on my 00. I found the harness that connects to the battery was insanely corroded..I replaced it with another good one and was good to go after that. It's like 6 connections all under the hood. Took about an hour to swap the harness out

Which harness did you replace?

A bad crank sensor would cause cranking no start and no bus no gauge dash. Coincidentally failed while foolin with a radio?

It's had no bus for over a year, I don't think it started when my friend messed with the radio. However I'll be disconnecting it and pulling all the wires out as I do not plan to be using the factory door ones.

It has to be my power block next to the batt, about 3 months ago i had pos/neg wires off the batt with corrosion and wouldn't start, redid that and the gauges worked for a day or so but then went back to No Bus.
Last night I took everything out of the power block, took it apart and cleaned it, blew air, put grease in it and while still no bus the fuel pump circuit started working again along with the AC system not being stuck on. 100yd drive up the hill ended with the AC system stuck on, no fuel pump power, and crank with no start/spark.

We tested the 5v circuit probably 6 times before we finally quit.

I'll be going over all the grounds this week with a wire brush and sand paper. If I weld them to the unibody think that may help the connection?

Don't forget the gas gauge. You mentioned you swapped an aftermarket fuel pump, and had to splice it in. IIRC the fuel level sensor is on the 5v line that powers the rest of the sensors.

I didn't hook up the gas gauge, can that cause more fuel pump issues?

We tested all of the other 5v circuit and plugs, all tested good.
I'll have to hook it up and see what happens.

Back