• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory roof rack - change

bentroia

NAXJA Forum User
From what I see, the factory roof rack cross beams changed form 1997 to 1998. The newer ones look beefier. Will the newer units install on the older rook rails without major effort/problems? Just trying to identify light weight simple options for a more durable attachment for the cargo basket.

Thanks for your info..

You would probably be better off with a stronger aftermarket rail system that you can attach a cargo basket to, such as a Yakima or Thule system. Have you looke at SURCO roof racks as an alternative? They aren't too bad for what you get, plus being made of aluminum, they won't rust.

Despite general consensus, I opted with a rail mount bracket system as opposed to a gutter mount bracktet system, because the gutter mounts have a tendancy to booger up the drip gutters and create nasty rust issues. I've found the stock roof mounted tracks to be plenty strong in handling beefy loads, without pulling out. YMMV....

You would probably be better off with a stronger aftermarket rail system that you can attach a cargo basket to, such as a Yakima or Thule system. Have you looke at SURCO roof racks as an alternative? They aren't too bad for what you get, plus being made of aluminum, they won't rust.

Despite general consensus, I opted with a rail mount bracket system as opposed to a gutter mount bracktet system, because the gutter mounts have a tendancy to booger up the drip gutters and create nasty rust issues. I've found the stock roof mounted tracks to be plenty strong in handling beefy loads, without pulling out. YMMV....

Can you share a pic of your result? SO.. you removed the factors cross bars and replaced with aftermarket that attached to the factory roof rails.

If you don't have a pick can you point me to the cross members that attach to the factory rails?

My goal is to securely hold my Yakima load warrior rack that came off my Subaru... It has ovalized rubber mounting clamps. It will only be used for light gear.. <80 lbs

thank you

Here's a shot of the J100 (Surco model number) roof rail mount, that I use with my Surco Roof Rack.

The mount clamps on to the roof rail, by means of that allen bolt you see in the mount. It's a "clamp" type of mount, that clamps onto the rood rail.
The square aluminum rail mounts to the J100 mount.
The Roof rack mounts to the square rail.

The mounts are SOLID. I've never had a problem with them. For more on the Surco rack itself, just Google it. I personally like it a lot. It's lightweight aluminum, which will never rust. Granted, you can't land aircraft on it, but it is pretty strong for what it is. For occasional touch up's, I use a Sharpie.

J100mount_zps8cdf61e7.jpeg

Last edited:
Back