• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC bracket compatibility

WarGin

NAXJA Forum User
So got an 88 Pioneer for 500 bucks( hit a deer, 4.0 ba10/5)and the fan clutch pulley is seized and will no longer spin, at all. Searching for this problem, it's apparent that it's not fixable, and the part in question (AC compressor bracket) is no longer manufactured or available. So no parts stores, dealers, or magicians cannot get a new one for me. So I'm stuck with junkyard parts. My question is, are the AC brackets all the same no matter the year? I know the compressor mounting bolts are different, but what about how the bracket mounts to the 4.0?
Will a 96+ bracket and compressor bolt up to the 88 Renix motor? hasta

Probably gonna go with the 90-96 bracket.
When the PO hit the deer, it looks like it actually pressed the shaft out the back,
Don't think the bracket is saveable.
Must've hit pretty hard
A8B813D6-369A-4A70-81D4-128BED990EB7-672-0000007A625B36A6_zpscc21158c.jpg

Oh well, I guess the side effect may be that my AC might actually work!

Just an update, pulled a bracket and compressor off a 96 ($100, and the oldest cherokee I could find around). The 96 bracket doesn't have the idler pulley mount, but I rerouted the serpentine belt, using a slightly shorter, 2465mm belt(and that's maybe 5-10mm too long).
Everything works, the old horse is running again!
If anyone else ever does this, make sure you keep the renix bolt that mounts the bracket to the alternator bracket, the newer bolt is slightly larger at the base of the head and will not work in the older mounting.

Thanks for the follow up!

Back