• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bought a drive shaft without measuring...this won't work will it?

88JeepXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a '99 XJ with AW4 and 231, 5" lift with AA SYE. I've been running a junk yard front driveshaft in the rear (and front obviously) but I keep killing the cardan joints. Latest one to go out was the front after I added some caster to help the death wobble. I'm sick of finding and replacing these so I thought I should finally get an aftermarket shaft. Well, I'm cheap and I have a LOT of project cars so I was browsing eBay. I found what I thought was perfect. A Tom Woods driveshaft, never used for a 5.5" lift with 231 and AW4. I didn't even think to ask the seller to measure, figured it would be perfect for me.

Well I got it yesterday and it is SHORT. It has a running length of 28.5" (26" collapsed and 30" extended". The JY front driveshaft I have is 31" compressed and 33.3" extended. I'm screwed huh?

Anyone need a Tom Wood shaft? haha I could have this lengthened but I need to find a good shop near Boston.

I saw the receipt, clearly indicated for a 5.5" lift...what could be the difference? Is this length good for another setup? For example, an XJ with an AX-15? Maybe I can get my money back and someone else can use this as is.

What rear end do you have, and what rear end was it made for?

Pinion location from a D35 to a D44 to a D60 changes by a couple of inches each.

It was probably good for that guy's 5.5" lift, but he may have had a high pinion dana 60 rear where you may have a dana 35..

if it's a good shaft spend $100 and have it lengthened to match your needs.. new shaft = no more used worn JY crap.

It was listed as being for a C8.25 just like I have :/

The receipt he took a pic of clearly shows that. Maybe Mr. Tom W. built it wrong?

I know everyone says MEASURE it...but honestly shouldn't you be able to know the length based on Lift/Tranny/Rear axle? My XJ is at my buddy's house so I took the chance and ordered without measuring. Figures.

considering no lift kit runs true to size out of the box or 5 years down the road or the same across manufacturers, there are many manufacturers that make SYEs at varying lengths, and the pinion length of any given axle is different....

id say its close to impossible to get a correctly fitting driveshaft without measuring first.

"Should" you be able to get an off the shelf shaft? Yes.
But since when does the world operate by "should"?

Back