• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 Jeep XJ No Crank - Water Related - Electronics/Fuel Pump All Work

beasticles

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys - Sorry for another thread on a starting issue. I searched and searched and since issues relating to the starting system can vary pretty greatly, I am hoping by posting up my specific issue someone can help.

My 2000 XJ has 145,000 miles on it. My wife and I drove it down from Northern VA to Outer Banks, NC without any issues last weekend. Up until this trip, I have had no issues starting the Jeep.

While down at OBX, we got caught out in a monsoon of a rain storm while we were out an ended up driving through the storm on Route 12 (paved) that runs parallel to the ocean and tends to flood easily. Well we ended up driving through some pretty serious puddles - nothing more than 4-6 inches (and my Jeep has the RE 3.5" lift so it has higher than stock ground clearance by about 4.5 inches) and splashing a lot of water all over the Jeep. We got home safe and sound, and the next day I carefully sprayed down the undersides of the Jeep to rinse out any salty water that got under the vehicle. Before any issues started, I actually drove it several more times without starting issues.

The night before we were set to go home, I put the key in, turn it (all electrical fired up fine - radio, lights, dash lights and gauges, I can hear the fuel pump priming) but when I turn the key to crank it, nothing happens at all (no clicking nothing). I turn to crank it again and I hear what sounded like the starter making a loud noise (hard to describe the sound) and then after 1-2 seconds of the noise the Jeep fired up and drove no problems. I drove it to do a quick errand, and it fired right up again fine on the first try that night when I drove back to the house.

The next morning I get gas, and this time I experience the same symptoms, however, there is no loud noise from the starter (electrics turn on, can hear fuel pump priming, but no crank at all). So I tried a few more times to crank it with the key and boom, on the third try it fires up without any issues. We stopped a few times on the way home to get gas and take bathroom breaks, and it seemed like if the Jeep didn't sit for long (i.e., was still hot, it would fire up no problem. However, we stopped at the in-laws for about two hours in Williamsburg on the way home, and the same symptoms reoccurred. Thankfully after about 5 attempts to crank it, the Jeep fired back up/turned over like normal.

We made it home (thank God), and I haven't driven the Jeep since Sunday night. This morning I go to drive it, and the same exact symptoms occur. I turn the key to crank it and even though I can hear the fuel pump priming and all of the electronics come on, but even after about 10 attempts to turn it over - nothing happened. It would not crank at all.

TO SUMMARIZE - The Jeep won't crank, but all electronics and fuel pump seem to be acting normal. Symptoms seem to indicate that the longer the Jeep sits, the worse the problem has gotten.

My thought is that in driving through all of that water, perhaps I got some water near or in a sensor, and that when the Jeep has been sitting, condensation seeps back into this sensor causing it to not allow the Jeep to start?

I see on a lot of starting issue threads people say to check all of your connections to battery, etc. I can tell you I take very good care of my Jeep and that I believe this is directly tied to some water getting into somewhere it shouldn't be. I think this because I have not had any issues whatsoever starting until this rainy day drive.

This thread captures my issue on jeepforum.com, but the OP did not post up his answer:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/...lectrical-works-then-all-sudden-does-1353903/

Can any of you help me? I am not quite sure where to start. :us: I promise to post the resolution so it helps other members!

A few more details about my Jeep:

In the last 4 months I have replaced the following related to the electrical system:

Battery cables
Battery
Alternator

Last edited:
If the starter does not spin, try jumping from the big power wire over to the solenoid wire and see if it spins. Make sure it is in park or neutral. You would not want it starting in gear with you under it.

If it does not spin when you jumper the connections, the starter has a problem. You might want to try and tear it apart and find if crap has gotten in the solenoid, or if the brushes are corroded and stuck.

If the starter does not spin, try jumping from the big power wire over to the solenoid wire and see if it spins. Make sure it is in park or neutral. You would not want it starting in gear with you under it.

If it does not spin when you jumper the connections, the starter has a problem. You might want to try and tear it apart and find if crap has gotten in the solenoid, or if the brushes are corroded and stuck.

Thanks. I am going to spend some time this weekend crawling around under it. I plan to pull the starter off as well. I am also going to check out the NSS by putting it in neutral trying to start it tonight.

I'd say the starter is going bad. I've had the same symptoms before with starters going bad. At first they will work after a few attempts, then the number of attempts gets larger, until they finally quit altogether. The water may have been the final straw for the starter.

I'd say the starter is going bad. I've had the same symptoms before with starters going bad. At first they will work after a few attempts, then the number of attempts gets larger, until they finally quit altogether. The water may have been the final straw for the starter.

Thanks for the input. This makes sense to me as well because I had noticed every once in a blue moon the starter would make a similar "loud noise" before firing up.

OK so tonight I tried the easiest thing first as recommended by go1lum. I attempted to start the Jeep while in Park - no dice. No clicking nothing. I move it into neutral and try again - it fires right up. Shut off engine and repeat in neutral - fires up like a champ. Move shifter back to Park and once again no start. So this would point to a faulty NSS, correct?

Just a quick update - I haven't had time to pull apart and clean the NSS, however, I have been starting the Jeep in neutral without issues. Yesterday, I forgot to switch it into neutral and started the Jeep in park and it fired up like normal in park. I was able to repeat this several more times so the issue may have resolved itself (at least temporarily). My guess is there is some gunk in the NSS that got cleared away as I shifted the transmission from neutral/drive/reverse/park in the course of driving around town.

Hope this helps someone else!

Just as a matter of information, the OEM starter in my 98 XJ gave up the ghost at 155K. You may just need a new starter, with the problem having nothing to do with the water or storm crossing. Mine gave little warning and gave out in Oregon (plenty of water) with a couple of days of slow cranks.

Sounds like you're on the right track. How old is your battery? Connections clean and tight? Jeep's do not tolerate low voltage well and will have issues. I did the NSS cleaning as detailed on this site 5 years ago, but about a year ago the fasteners worked loose on their own and I lost reverse lights again. The torque setting on the NSS is very low....like inch lbs. Just something to check.

Replace the starter.

Mine was doing the very same thing not long ago and it ended up being the starter. My NSS was fine...

Mine was doing the very same thing not long ago and it ended up being the starter. My NSS was fine...

Appreciate it. I'll keep an eye on the starter, however, it has been firing up fine from neutral and now in 'drive' again. I guess shifting the transmission a bit cleared out whatever corrosion was preventing good contact in the NSS. Good thing about the XJ is the starter is an easy fix. I actually had it off recently when replacing my rear main seal to make room for the oil pan to drop.

Back