• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airline recommendations

xeroOTG

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished reinstalling my ARB CKMTA12 compressor under my hood, and got down to doing a leak down test and found that all of my cheap harbor freight air hose to the back of my Jeep where my air tank is had dry rotted. I had run my air hose along the brake and fuel lines on the left frame rail.

zeba7uda.jpg

So I did some reading - I have three options for replacing my harbor freight hose.
1) use DOT semi air line with push lock type fittings. The catch is that its temperature sensative.
2) use braided stainless with a Teflon barrier. I already have 3 feet of this leading from the compressor as a way to disapate heat, and I really like it but its expensive.
3) use flexible copper. Cheap. Few downsides.

Here is the under hood situation:
9u2azy5u.jpg

The airline leaving the compressor is connected using a bsp to an -4 adapter, and then after the stainless I have an an -4 to 1/4 mip fitting to convert to standard air line.

I dont really know how to move forward on this one. Knowing what I have, how would YOU proceed if it was your Jeep?

I am a fan of Nylon 11 Tubing and Push-Connect Fittings.
Been using it for years in various mobile applications.

I ended up getting 3/8 id poly pipe from Lowes and some brass barb fittings. I used fuel injector clamps to hold the poly pipe. Does anyone see any issues with this? I don't know how tough poly pipe is but it was super cheap, and rated at 300 psi.

a6yhasu2.jpg

At first I used the truck brake line, however i melted a few holes in it.
After getting tired of patching the holes, I switched to stainless tubing and swagelock connectors. No issues since

Re: Re: Airline recommendations

At first I used the truck brake line, however i melted a few holes in it.
After getting tired of patching the holes, I switched to stainless tubing and swagelock connectors. No issues since

How hard is it to work stainless tube? What size did you go with?

How hard is it to work stainless tube? What size did you go with?

I use a lot of Swagelok but heck, you can spend more on connectors than you did on the compressor.

The stainless is pretty difficult to bend. might be able to use a regular copper bending tool, not sure. I got lucky, and we already had a swagelock bender at work.

I went with 1/4" line, as all its doing is filling a .5 gal tank at the rear that in turn feeds the arb.

Ill try and take a picture later. The stainless came out really nice, and looks like it belongs there

Dont use malaysian airlines

Dont use malaysian airlines

That's about what I thought when I first saw the thread title!

I always just use the cheap stuff like you have in the first picture, with barbs and hose clamps, and replace the pieces under the hood twice a year. At about $20 for a 50 ft roll, I've got a decade worth of replacement hose sitting on the shelf.

I switched to stainless tubing and swagelock connectors. No issues since

Oh man. You can make the line super expensive super quick with swagelock.
But going the stainless tube is a great idea, and if you use a proper bender it's actually easy to bend.

I'd love to see how yours looks.

Back