• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98xj trans swap help

broken_xj

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, im new to this forum and need some transmission professionals here. I own a 98 xj and swapped the trans with one from a 97. The 97 and older trans don't have an input speed sensor. Therefore the computer is throwing a code and the check engine light wont go off. i currently need to get this inspected asap. ive tried numerous things. im leaning on replacing the tcm (transmission control module) with one from a 97 or earlier model that will read the trans without that sensor. Is this possible? or are there any other options? ive tried connecting the 2 sensor wires together, sticking a magnet on the end of the sensor, a piece of steel, grounding the sensor magnet, and even running a cordless drill with a steel bit on it next to the sensor. none of that has worked.

All AW4 transmission from all XJs require a speed sensor. Have yu tried plugging the sensor in OR is there a big HOLE in the tail housing where the sensor should be?

All AW4 transmission from all XJs require a speed sensor. Have yu tried plugging the sensor in OR is there a big HOLE in the tail housing where the sensor should be?

You're thinking of the output speed sensor. '98+ added an INPUT speed sensor that is causing his problems.

OP, there was talk of TCU swapping in this thread that may help you out:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970

Of particular interest to you is the excerpt from kastein's initial post:

kastein said:
UPDATE Mar4 2013 - :NAXJA: user memasmuffn reports that installing a 1997 TCU (designed to work with the older 1 pulse/rev reed switch output sensor, and no input sensor) in a 98-01 XJ with a 97 and earlier AW4 swapped into it results in no codes! This is great news, any AW4 (2wd vs 4wd, 2.5L 87-90 vs 4.0L all-years, and 2wd 95- vs 2wd 96+ notwithstanding) can be bolted into any XJ/MJ with only minor wire splicing, hard-part/housing/sensor changing, and perhaps TCU swapping at the worst. Awaiting further testing from the field to make sure the code stays gone!

You'll have to look through that thread for the details though.

Also, if you happen to need a '97 TCU, I have a couple on the shelf you could have for a reasonable price.

thanks for the link, ive actually read this prior to installing the trans and missed the part about the tcu, im picking one up from a local salvage yard today, and im gonna research the numbers on it beforehand. yesterday i found 2 97's in a upullit but both had a 98 tcu and trans for some odd reason. but i wil post results later on and wheather or not i need one. thanks!

and to 93gc40, theres no hole for an input speed sensor, the 97 and earlier models only came equipt with an output speed sensor, no input

Back