• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Selec-trac switch question

mikeh88

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Everyone, recently bought an 88 Cherokee Limited with a 242 TC and the part time light on the dash is on. I know I'm not in 4WD and the switch itself works fine. I've looked here and elsewhere for what else I could be missing to get that light to work properly, but to no avail. If you disconnect the switch, the light goes out. If I take the switch out, I can make it turn on and off. Is the switch supposed to be threaded all the way in? Is there some adjustment to the shift linkage of the TC I have to do? Like I said, I can shift into and out of 4WD just fine , it's just that stupid light. Anyone have an experience/advice they'd like to share to keep my sanity?? Thanks!

My 1990 Limited had a similar issue, but it ended up just getting stuck in part-time 4x4 all the time. Adjusting the linkage fixed the issue for me. Are you sure you are in 2wd? Like there isn't any binding when turning?

Do all the other positions on the transfer case engage correctly? If you truly are in 2WD and the light is still on, you may need a new switch. I'm not sure about how far it needs to be threaded in, its been a while since I looked at a NP242.

Thanks for the reply. I don't have any binding issues. I went to a dirt road and went through both 4WD settings. I then backed up and felt the front end disengage. I do have Detroit lockers in the rear but that should not affect the light. What did you do to adjust the linkage?

When you felt the front disengage while backing up, did that turn the light off? Sometimes the NP242 can be a bit tricky to get back in 2WD. Mine wouldn't go out of part-time back into 2WD unless I backed up. It went back into 2wd fine from full-time though, I'm guessing it was because that was a longer movement with the shifter. You might try lubricating the linkages that go from the shifter to the transfer case. You will see them underneath the Jeep. They might be sticking a bit which would cause this to happen. If that doesn't help you might want to try adjusting the linkage.

To adjust the linkage you loosen a bolt and slide the shift rod backward or forward to adjust the position of it.

Here is a video I found on youtube that explains it. I believe it is for an NP231, but should be similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHp2hdvZ4oY

The switch coming out of the transfercase has an extention on it over the trans, mine did the same because a wire became bare. Check over the wires.

Thanks for all the advice so far. I readjusted the linkage, light still on all the time. Traced the sensor wiring and the previous owner had put split loom on all the wiring to the tranny and it was completely intact. If it was a bare wire, the light would be on even if the sensor wasn't plugged in I would think. I'm at a loss on this one. Anything else I could check? Thanks!

So I was thinking , hey let me unscrew the switch and see if I could find a spot where the light went out and if I shifted the TC it would light up. It was literally 1 flat on the switch! I took the whole thing out and put a very thin aluminum washer under the o-ring, then screwed it back in until I could get the light to go on when shifted into 4 part time. Worked great!!! What a relief, hope this helps others!

Back