• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hey, buddy, can you spare a couple of D30 axle shaft stubs?

Nimrod

Degenerate Jeeper
NAXJA Member
I need to remove the locker from my D30 and deliver it to a gear shop, where a replacement axle is awaiting regearing and installation of the locker. It would be most convenient if I were able to drive the Jeep while the axle is being worked on, which means driving it without a front differential carrier in place. To do that, I need to install broken (or intentionally shortened) axle stubs temporarily, and I do not have any.

Does anyone have a couple of D30 axle stubs that I can borrow for a week or so? It would be hugely appreciated.

With the carrier missing, what is going to keep the axles from flopping around like a limp _ _ _ _ ?

Just be sure to drive straight, watch your mirrors, and if you see one sliding out make a quick turn to reseat it. LOL :cheers: No, dont do that.

I do but im a lil far.. why cant you run your axle housing bare?

Redlands is a bit too far. Thanks though!

Not exactly sure why I can't run the axle housing bare. But someone much more knowledgeable than me (Cracker) told me so and I believe him. I'm trusting that way.

hey man i should have what you need, i have a pile of hubs with stubs stuck in em that will never come out. PM me for my number if you don't have it i'll be here all day, im located in gardena where the 91/110 meet.

You cant run without a.carrier, even with hubs, because the parastitic drag from the grease is enough to cause the shafts to rotate.

Dont see any reason you couldnt have thrown a carrier minus ring gear and ran it that way.

Good on grimm for getting you covered!

But if he's just running the outer stub shafts, and no inner shafts, he should be good, no?

David Bricker / SYR

If the object is to run with no axles, can't you just remove the axle nut, remove unit bearing, pull the complete shaft assy. out, reinstall the unit bearing and drive away ?

Back