• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coming back into the fold

devildog0

NAXJA Forum User
After about 6 years out of Jeeps I'm coming "home". Have a 97 XJ lined up for purchase tomorrow morning/afternoon. Hell it's been years since I've even been on these forums.

Current build plan for it (keeping it simple and no lifts in it's future)

1-New tires thinking probably Tirewright All Terrains in 235/75R15

2-New UpCountry spec coils and leaf pack to replace the sagging parts on it, and new shocks to go with it.

3-Remove rear sway bar, install front swaybar disconnects.

4-Lockright or Aussie up front. Leave the rear open for now. Possibly a Detroit Trutrac limited slip diff in the future for the rear

5-Roof Rack of some sort

6-Nate's 4x4 front and rear bumpers and rock rails

7-Com systems, CB radio and UHF/VHF "ham" rig.

8-Lots of other Odds and ends such as power inverter mounted in the back, and get my homebrew power tank shipped out here from Texas and put it back where the spare tire usually goes.

Pretty excited. I miss my 2000 :)

My old XJ out in Uwharrie "way back" in 2005

222652_1023455592780_2261_n.jpg

221747_1023455672782_2793_n.jpg

You should go with a 3 1/2" lift. Once you armor it it will sag down.

Are you in J-Ville or SoCal?

Whoops. It's been 6 years since I've been on the forums now. Last time I was on I was stationed out there. I updated my CP I'm now stationed on Miramar.

A mild lift ain't going to cut it in SoCal young Devil. I tried that and failed, lol. Your first trip to John Bull or JV will have you begging for more clearance. I would suggest a 4.5" on short arms and some 31-32s for now.

How about this

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-s...its/rustys-xj-cherokee-3-spring-pack-kit.html

Not 4.5" but again I'm not looking for really aggressive and don't plan on running trails like the ones you mentioned. The suspension is actually in decent shape it must hav ebeen the way it was sitting the first time I looked at it. The rear shocks pogo a bit so they probably need to be swapped but other than that it's not as bad as I thought.

Maybe some 30s and a BB?

I will never recommend anything from cRusty's to anyone. So therefore I have no opinion of that lift. If you want a decent lift with a good ride BDS or RE are the way to go. The SoCal Chapter is full of Military VETs link up with them and go on a ride. I may be stationed in Albany GA but my heart is in the desert of SoCal!

I'm a Jarhead as well.

Ah at the logistics base?

Yes sir. My second time here and third time in GA. I did I&I duty in Atlanta.

I spent 4.5 years in Crapsonville, NC on New River, then another 4.5 years in Fort Worth on NAS Fort Worth. Now I'm out here with a the first Reserve V-22 unit in history at Miramar. Just passed my 11 year mark.

I just passed 21 years last month.

rah.

dont buy shit from rustys unless you like shit.....

re went to china too so im not sure on the quality of their "new" items.

theres usually an abundance of used parts for sale round these parts, for 4.5 the cheapest route is to source your own.

jk shocks are good for a 3-4" lift iirc and those are all over craigslist for cheap or free.

hit up a local leaf spring shop and see what they can whip up for you.

make some arms and a trac bar at the hobby shop and saveeeee

You can't weld at the hobby shop. :( If you need anything I'm in Lakeside aka East Santee. Welder, bender, gearing tools, etc.

Gotta place to paint? The paint is rough enough that I think I'm just going to spray bomb it. Matte OD for most of the body and then paint the fender flares, grille and a few other little odds and ends matte desert tan.

I don't think the Hobby shop has any kind of paint booth right now.

Base hobby shop got rid of the paint booth and they don't allow welding. If you want to paint it, and use a real booth, sign up for the Grossmont Union School District adult education "Autobody" class. Gives you access to all that.

I'm just gonna do a decent rattle can job on it. Flat OD green on most of the body with Desert Tan accents like the grill, fender flares, ect. No paint booth really needed just an area big enough to be away from other people's cars.

I think PMO would have something to say about some guy shooting a Jeep with Spray Paint lol.

I think PMO would have something to say about some guy shooting a Jeep with Spray Paint lol.

i stripped and built a motorcycle a barracks parking lot and painted it in the shower of an unoccupied room. what pmo/ood dont know....

Unocc rooms are secured no way to get into them. And the parking lots are so full there's no way to paint on it without overspraying everyone's cars.

Back