• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering questions

GrayXJ2013

NAXJA Forum User
I currently work at a shop where we are doing a terraflex dana 60 swap into a customers 2008 wrangler. I was wondering if the steering set up on their wrangler would work in my 2000 jeep cherokee considering it should be the same stock front axle. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

A few things going on... Assuming the swap you are doing uses stock type steering...
The 2008 wrangler is the "JK" wrangler. It uses "crossover" steering, because the drag link attaches to the passenger's side knuckle while the tie rod crosses over from passenger's ---> driver's side.
The Cherokee (XJ) knuckle won't take crossover steering because it only has one steering arm per side.
You can swap 99-04 Grand Cherokee knuckles & brakes onto the XJ axle, google search "wj swap naxja" for some starter threads. The WJ knuckles run the same crossover type steering as the JK.
The JK knuckles will work on an XJ dana 30, provided you use JK / WJ ball joints (same ones) but the camber will be 2* off... or so I've read. Should work OK but maybe some accelerated tire wear. Then again they put them on factory JK axles.

Alright thanks for the info. I had looked into doing the grand cherokee swap a while back. Just figured id toss this idea out there since the parts were readily available and probably going to be thrown out anyway.

Well, I dunno what gets re-used when you put a Teraflex 60 into a JK, but I'd grab all of it that you can & put it under the workbench. Ball joints, knuckles, brakes, steering, all of it. I'm betting most of it (if not all) could be used on the XJ, just not a quick Friday afternoon job.

From what I can tell it all gets thrown out. Plus the guys gettin a new lift and ton of other stuff. I talked to the guy and he wants way to much money for the parts so im gunna do a grand cherokee swap from a yard

Back