• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What type of front suspension won't unload, and is unloading that big an issue?

xriide

NAXJA Forum User
So looking through the several options available for the XJ front suspension. I keep seeing that the Y link and trailing arm (aren't those two the same?) suffer from unloading issues when climbing.
So then 4 link would prevent unloading? But 4 link is quite a bit more expensive and I don't understand why it wouldn't unload just the same.

Wouldn't a limit strap say in the center prevent a Y link from unloading? And still keep the articulation.

I feel like I am not understanding how these suspensions work enough.

search.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-hardcore-tech/747772-radius-arm-vs-3link.html

http://www.rme4x4.com/archive/index.php/t-94148.html

you can use a suckdown winch or a center limit strap if you are set on a radius arm setup like TNT or rubicon.
I remember on steep hill climbs with my tnt radius arm setup how the front end would sort of want to like "float " backwards(lifting the front end up) , if that makes sense. it doesn't really seem to happen yet with my 3 link.

I think its one of those things where if you have to ask, you probably don't need it, so I would say just run a radius arm setup and be merry with " ya its got long arms Bro" conversations at the mall. When I had mine I was oblivious to suspensions and didnt understand anything and put it on because "long arms are cool" but it was also free for me so I had nothing to loose. I wouldnt do it again even if it was free again.

Last edited:
I remember on steep hill climbs with my tnt radius arm setup how the front end would sort of want to like "float " backwards(lifting the front end up) , if that makes sense. it doesn't really seem to happen yet with my 3 link.

there we go. I've been trying to put this into words for awhile now. but I experienced the exact same thing with your long arms. just didn't know how to describe it. now, that feeling is gone on the really steep climbs with the 3 link. not sure if the new heavy front axle has anything to do with that.. but I definitely notice the difference.

fwiw, the "unloading" NEVER hindered forward progress completely. sure it felt a little light in the front end on the really steep climbs but the jeep still took me everywhere. I'd gladly pick up radius arms again in a D30 situation. especially TNT's. one of my favorite upgrades to date. unloading is a non issue in my experience

just run a radius arm setup and be merry with " ya its got long arms Bro" conversations at the mall.

:laugh:

seriously xride. this is like your 5th thread on 3 different forums. you need to start reading and don't stop reading until some time in 2015. all this information is out there with some creative google searching.

Radius arms kill busloads of nuns carrying kittens.

The only times I have run into unloading issues was Moab climbing ledges. I know Ive posted this before, but I think it does a pretty good job of showing what happens. Listen to the motor and watch the suspension.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfC4gIBaC-M

The suspension was not the limiting factor on this, I was hung up on my rear bumper. I had the same thing happen in Mickys Hot Tub, and watched my tires come off terra firma. That was the only time my suspension has made me unable to do anything.

TnT radius arms on a now 44 and 35s. Works for me, will be using them until I go to tons.

I have run radius arms and three link suspensions on the same rig. Three link is much more predictable and if you are trying to do steep ledges radius arms can unload bad and cause you to lose traction.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-hardcore-tech/747772-radius-arm-vs-3link.html

http://www.rme4x4.com/archive/index.php/t-94148.html

I think its one of those things where if you have to ask, you probably don't need it, so I would say just run a radius arm setup and be merry with " ya its got long arms Bro" conversations at the mall.

Thanks for the links.

My jeep hasn't seen a mall parking lot in YEARS! That's for the Denali.

I ask because I want to know, and while I don't see anything nearly as steep as in the video starboard posts, I certainly don't want to it to be an issue if I do run into that.

Search is tough when you aren't sure what you are really looking for, there is a lot of information out there, and I have read for hours and hours, and with random searches I find I end up with a lot of conflicting information.

Radius arms kill busloads of nuns carrying kittens.

The only times I have run into unloading issues was Moab climbing ledges. I know Ive posted this before, but I think it does a pretty good job of showing what happens. Listen to the motor and watch the suspension.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfC4gIBaC-M

The suspension was not the limiting factor on this, I was hung up on my rear bumper. I had the same thing happen in Mickys Hot Tub, and watched my tires come off terra firma. That was the only time my suspension has made me unable to do anything.

TnT radius arms on a now 44 and 35s. Works for me, will be using them until I go to tons.

Perfect video to help, thank you :)

I have run radius arms and three link suspensions on the same rig. Three link is much more predictable and if you are trying to do steep ledges radius arms can unload bad and cause you to lose traction.

I really wish you had the arms to complete your 3 link part on your site. I would order tonight. Cause I want your shackle relocation too.
Does the "no lift" version have the second set of holes to allow for a half inch of lift too, or just part of the adjustability?

I don't see anything nearly as steep as in the video starboard posts, I certainly don't want to it to be an issue if I do run into that

It's really not an issue. I never would've gone to a 3 link if I had kept my D30. Sure a 3 link is better, but it's so much easier to bolt on some seriousoffroad arms and cross member. I really don't see the point in making it harder on yourself. I'd be surprised if you saved money building your own suspension anyway. It'll cost about the same after shipping/materials/time.

None of us learned it all over night. I spent a year reading and lurking before building my jeep. A few hours searching isn't much

Just run a center limiting strap if your scared of it unloading on your trails. Center strap limits total droop but not flex at each wheel. Or do a suck down off the front winch so you don't have to worry.

As for building vs kit dom is cheap so pick up some brackets like HD offroad makes get some joints tubing adapters and make your own arms up or have a friend with a welder help.

If you have access to a welder, and have the ability (or know someone who works for beer) that is the way to go. Sometimes you can find deals on used parts that are a good deal as well.

Back