• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reason to weld d44?

crazymaci

NAXJA Forum User
Just got a d44 rear axle, should I weld the tubes to the housing? My in shop expert welder said to do it I should heat up the area to 350degrees use 5/32nd stainless rod, maintain 350, then wrap it in a heat blanket for a slow cool. But is there a reason, do the tubes have a habit of spinning in there? I'm only going 4.5" lift w/33" 10.5s

Yep. Do it. Cheap easy reassurance

I weld the tubes on any axle I work on. I see no reason not to, some axles are known for spun tubes like the Ford 8.8. I've also welded a bunch of different axles with just a MIG, its all in the prep and technique.

The tubes didnt slip on this 44. They aren't likely to slip on yours...

photobucket-5937-1328488727357.jpg

Every+Man+Challenge+-+77.jpg

I have 3 phase dual shield at the shop that I was thinking about using, is the center section cast steel? I might do it, up in the air now

I have 3 phase dual shield at the shop that I was thinking about using, is the center section cast steel? I might do it, up in the air now

It is cast steel. I love the dual shield stuff (I did structural welding for 6+ years). If your confident in your ability, I vote to do it. Just make sure to do small stitches while rotating 180deg between welds and try avoid undercutting the tubes.

the truss didn't assist at all with that? seems a lot like your tubes were a little bit welded :dunno:

The truss did assist, it provided the fulcrum point to bend the tube. :)

The new axle has an IRO truss, nice piece, and only 99 bucks.

I like the idea of the IRO truss, kills two birds with one stone, the problem with the welders that are available to me, I have a millermatic 185 w/gas at home,which I thought was to small for the job, and dual shield at work, I know from plenty of experience that dual shield burns hot and 1/4 plate can be like tinfoil(16th wire).

Back