• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check engine light goes off after gas fill up!

Seeker

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,
My wife heep 2001 Cherokee Classic throws a code about an 02 censor off and on. Of course it has been on for a few months when it's time to smog. I was getting a code about a bank P0455 and P0132. The cat and leak. I decided to start cheap and buy a new gas cap. I drove 100 miles and it went away! AS I was driving it to get smogged the freaking light came back on! Just now i filled up at costco and the light when off again! Ideas? I want to pass smog but would also like to fix this. Her jeep doesn't get great mileage. After 100 miles it was getting 15 (it's stock) on the freeway. It seems that my built cherokee gets better mileage.
Thanks

Fix the CEL codes. My stockish 99 has 210,000 miles and gets 19.5 freeway mpg. My lifted and armored 2000 gets 17.0+ freeway mpg.

A new gas cap will most certainly solve the P0455 code.

The P0132 is upstream O2 sensor circuit high. I'd unplug
the sensor (first one after the manifold) and spray the
plug with WD-40 and re-plug. Check the sensor wiring
for a break or rubbing on the exhaust pipe or manifold.

Then clear the code and see if it returns. If it does, might
be a bad sensor, especially if it has a lot of miles on it....

it's at 150,000... i picked up a "new sensor" at the junkyard. Is there a sensor on the cat on this model 2001? I can't find it.... I see the two by the pre cats...

There should be one on the tailpipe directly after
the cat, to detect cat efficiency.

DO NOT clear code by disconnecting the battery. That will just cause a code, no CEL, that will fail you on the smog. Best is to let the codes clear themselves or use a scanner to clear them.

The sensors are not on the tailpipe on a 2001. That model has the dual pre-cats right off the exhaust manifold and the O2 sensors are just before and after the pre-cats. If you clear the codes, even with a scanner, rather than disconnecting the battery, it will still leave things in a Not Ready state which will not pass smog. You need to drive it for a while after fixing it before you smog it.

O2 sensor locations for a 2001:

2000_2001exhaust.jpg

Above photo is not mine. It's courtesy of a post on another forum that I bookmarked since I have a 2001.

4 O2 sensors total. Rock Auto has them.

Last edited:
The code you're getting is what tells you which sensor is bad. P0132 is Bank 1 Upstream, so front bank before the cat per the picture. Thank you Mnoeltne!

Back