• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I know what ECM I need?

Chronicwheeler

NAXJA Forum User
Need a new ECM for my jeep. How do I know what one will work. Will a computer that is California emissions work in a jeep that's federal emissions. Does it have to be from a jeep with power windows? Dose it matter if it's a auto or a 5 speed? Dose it have to be a 2000 or can it be a 1999-2001? Any info on this would be sweet!

1999 and 2000 won't interchange 1999 had a different ignition system. If you have a bad ecu from a 2000 only a 2000 or 2001 will work. Just try to find one with similar options to yours. You will need it reflagged to your vin and vehical specifics to. As for ca vs federal far as I know all the later jeeps had the same emissions gear so it should work. But I live in ca so i don't see to many no ca jeeps.

Why do you think you need a new ECM ?

The replacement ECM needs to have the same Jeep Part number. For best results the donor Jeep should have the same emissions, Calif/Federal, and the same Transmission.

If the part numbers match, the ECM will not need to be re-flashed.

Why do you think you need a new ECM ?

The replacement ECM needs to have the same Jeep Part number. For best results the donor Jeep should have the same emissions, Calif/Federal, and the same Transmission.

If the part numbers match, the ECM will not need to be re-flashed.

It won't need to be reflashed to the key???

It won't need to be reflashed to the key???

If either Cherokee has the option SKIM factory installed anti-theft system, the ECM will need to be re-flashed, but otherwise no re-flash will be needed. The factory installed anti-theft system is somewhat rare.

Last edited:
As I understand the SKIM system, the programming is present in all the ECU's but simply not activated.

Yes, once activated in the ECU, SKIM cannot be deactivated.

The SKIM module and SKIM enabled ECU can be removed from the Jeep and a non-SKIM enabled ECU can be then installed.

If SKIM is desired, there is a process to install a non-SKIM ECU, and then have the ECU re-flashed to activate the SKIM.

Back