• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4x4 problem

88_xj_

NAXJA Forum User
Alright guys, I have a 88 cherokee 4x4. While in 4wd I know that the turning radius is decreased. But my xj seems to be messed up. When i turn it in 4wd it turns very little and it feels like its getting in a bind. It does it on flat ground. Im new to 4wd and am unsure what is wrong with it. It goes into and out of 4x4 just fine. What could be causing it todo this???

Alright guys, I have a 88 cherokee 4x4. While in 4wd I know that the turning radius is decreased. But my xj seems to be messed up. When i turn it in 4wd it turns very little and it feels like its getting in a bind. It does it on flat ground. Im new to 4wd and am unsure what is wrong with it. It goes into and out of 4x4 just fine. What could be causing it todo this???

Are you doing this on pavement or dirt?

If you have the 231 transfer case you will break it using 4x4 on pavement. Would also explain the turning issues. IF you have the 242 case you can only drive 4x4 on pavement when shifted to the 4FT position. NEVER drive on pavement in 4x4 in the 4pt, 4hi or 4low positions.

tight turns will cause binding, especially on pavement or dry, packed dirt.

you are fine, but stop doing it.

Back